need help curbing some bad habbits

Alicia G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have had quite a few rabbits before but I have never had this problem so I have NO clue how to deal with a naughty teen holland lop. My rabbits name is akiko and she was a nice little girl until about a week ago.She has been nipping at me when I hold her and she will charge and try to bite me when ever I go to do something in her cage.Ive tryed to correct her by tapping her on the nose but she just fights back.Why is she doing this? How do I curb her of these bad habbits?
Oh and shes about 4 1/2 months old.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Alicia G said:
I have had quite a few rabbits before but I have never had this problem so I have NO clue how to deal with a naughty teen holland lop. My rabbits name is akiko and she was a nice little girl until about a week ago.She has been nipping at me when I hold her and she will charge and try to bite me when ever I go to do something in her cage.Ive tryed to correct her by tapping her on the nose but she just fights back.Why is she doing this? How do I curb her of these bad habbits?
Oh and shes about 4 1/2 months old.
She is starting to get territorial. I had 2 I couldn't break of this and found them new homes.

Alicia G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh please dont say that! I spent a pretty penny on her.Shes a blue eyed white holland lop and shes really nice besides these new habits she devloping. Is there a way to stop her from being so territorial?

CrimsonRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yep sometimes they just get grouchy when the PMS hits... I had a super sweet Flemish with amazing qualities just up and decided to start biting one day... I've been working with her for 3-4 months now and you still have to watch her... I have over a year invested in time and feed in the girl... So I did go ahead and breed her... I Will NOT sell a temperamental rabbit to a new home... so if she doesn't pan out to be a good mom then she is going in the stew pot... I'm hoping once she gets some of the teenage hormones done and over with... and she has some babies of her own she will calm down... She really was the sweetest gal out of the whole litter that's why we kept her for breeding... then one day she turned into and evil monster... :rolleyes:

Alicia G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well I planned on breeding her when she is old enough anyway.So I guess Ill have to go out and get a buck!
How old should a rabbit be before breeding her? I know she too young right now (4 1/2 months).

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would think very hard about breeding this girl. Having dealt with a few truly vicious rabbits in the past (and having the scars to prove it), I can say with certainty that I wouldn't ever wish one on anyone! A certain amount of a rabbit's temperament is inheritable. While I don't expect all of my does to be fall-out-in-your-arms friendly, this much attitude would be enough to take her out of the gene pool in my rabbitry. I am capable of handling a grumpy doe safely, but I will not breed one, for fear of making a bunch of even grumpier babies.

Alicia G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well I should have gone into more detail. She is charging and bitting me when Im doing something in her cage, but once I manage to take her out she turns into a big baby. She does on occation nip me outside the cage but nothing like in the cage.I also have a halter and shes good about having it put on.I put it on when I let her run around in the basement so I can keep track of her(theres a bell on it). She has devoloped a nasty stratagy of getting me in the cage, she will wrap her front paws around my hand/arm and hold on while she trys to bite me. I was starting to think may be shes trying to mate my hand but I think shes just doing it so she can get a peice of me!

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She has devoloped a nasty stratagy of getting me in the cage, she will wrap her front paws around my hand/arm and hold on while she trys to bite me.
There is absolutely no way I would put up with that or breed on it! That rabbit would be dinner!

A reputation is a precious thing. I have a reputation for producing rabbits that are affectionate and calm. I can sell even my culls for a premium because of this.

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Unfortunatley, you may have come to the point where hard decisions must be made. Personally ... the bunny would have invited itself to dinner around here. We do not, do not, put up with bad personality issues. I do forgive does with litters, but if they do not settle down, no matter how many show wins they have ... it's by by time. I am in a similar position as you right now, but the doe is on a litter (NZ) and she will ... will ... be gone once weaned. Her babies will not be staying ...most will be meated out. The temperment will not go forward to anybody elses barn.

Good luck ...