Need help deciphering Circle Y serial - I'm so confused!

AlaynaMayGoatLady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, everyone, I need some help.
So, I bought my first Circle Y saddle a couple months ago and I love it. It's a beautiful older show saddle in really good shape. In fact, I liked it so much that I kept watching Craigslist for another Circle Y so I can use them on both horses when I trail ride with my siblings. We don't plan to show (though that would be fun) but I just like to ride in quality. Anyway, I found another for $350. Fleecing looked good in photos, saddle seemed to be in great shape, well kept, etc. Met the seller, asked a few questions, looked the saddle over, and bought it. Stupid me - I missed the most important check of all - the tree. Rode for several hours the next day, then carried it inside and felt the seat give as I set it on the rack. Imagine the horror when I realized that the tree was totally snapped. Possibly it was whole when I bought it - maybe not, but I should have been a wise buyer and checked it more thoroughly instead of taking his word that it was sound.

So... I don't have expertise to fix it (though I would LOVE to) and I think the best option is for me to sell it. Even with the broken tree it is a really nice saddle, and someone with experience could fix it up beautifully. I am trying to read the serial number and am very confused. There is no metal plate that I can find anywhere, but I did find the number printed on the leather under the nearside jockey. Serial number is: 1292-5-76-132220

Now, here's why I am confused. I have been researching Circle Y serial numbers, but what I'm finding just does not add up for my saddle. The 1292 is supposed to be the style number. Okay... Next: 5 = (pre-1990) = FQHB OR if it is a 2006 or later saddle, seat color = Toast Suede. Okay. Now... 76 is supposed to equal seat size - but 70 is 17" and this only measures to be 15". Strange. The next number (1) should be color of the saddle. 1 = Walnut (match!) The last digits should be the month and year it was made, but 32220 don't make sense for any year. I think it is around 10-12 years old, but could be older. Do any of y'all have suggestions?

It appears to me that this may have been a custom saddle, though it does not say SP on the serial number. There is a holster for a hoof pick or knife on one side, and it is double rigged in the front (girth can be 3/4 or center fire (I think - need to double check.) The seller also mentioned that he removed his name plate from the back.

Any thoughts? I plan to take pictures later today so I can list it on eBay and I will share them here.

Last edited:

AlaynaMayGoatLady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here are pictures.
DSC_1156.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1157.JPG
    DSC_1157.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC_1158.JPG
    DSC_1158.JPG