Need help diagonsing a possible deficency with a doe.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have noticed ever since the buck come to live with us (2 and a half weeks ago) the area under my does tail has changed from a brown/gray color to pretty vivid mauve. Her whole hind end area is pretty uniformly pink. I noticed today as well that her gums where on the gray side edging even towards blue but her eye membranes where vivid bright pink. This is the first I have seen her with gray gums but she was also cold when I checked her. This doe is very frequently cold and shivering. She is very late growing in her coat and she is getting better but she was shivering again shortly before I checked her. She is eating well (better then when we got her even), and I have noticed no behavioral differences with her other then the changing skin color. I just want to make sure this does not sound like the starting stages of anemia or copper deficiency.

She has 24/7 access to loose minerals (Golden Blend Goat brand) and I see her have some from time to time.
She has free choice very good quality grass hay
She gets 1 cup noble goat, one cup beet pulp, 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1/2 cup boss each day spread out over 2 or 3 feedings. She was a bit thin when we got her so we have been slowly bringing her weight up and will be dropping this feed back as she gets to her finishing weight.
She also has access to pasture about 8 hours a day and the occasional browse.

So is her pink patootie just a symptom of lover boy being around and her being hormonal or should I be looking deeper at copper or anemia stuff.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, her patootie (vulva) will be pink and also swollen if she is in heat. Also, much tail wagging (flagging some call it), she will be hanging around the fence to be as close to him as possible. Will turn her backside toward him will put her head close to the fence to be "rubbed" by him.

All in all very "shameless" behavior, just what you want in a doe you want to breed.

DonnaBelle

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you taken a temp? There are many causes of anemia in goats. Just because the eyes are not pale does not mean she might not be having a parasite issue. Checking the eyes is only effective with seeing if the barberpole worm is at a high load. FAMACHA should NEVER be used as a sole source to monitor parasite evaluations. Running a fecal would be wise.

With your feed program I would not think there is a copper deficiency. Are you in an extremely copper deficient area?

Take temp first then get a fecal. That will tell you a lot. I would also check for mites, as mites can cause anemia.

Others have already addressed the "patootie" issue. None of our girls get pink while in heat or when they are being bred but from what others here have experienced that doesn't sound unusual.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is definitely not in heat and it is not just her vulva. (ETA She was bred the 1st, the 5th and the 10th that I saw signs of.) It is her entire rear end including under her tail and all the way down.

No external parasites at all that I have seen. Coat looks vibrant and very good right now.

Internal parasites could possibly be an issue. She has been on the farm for just over a month she was wormed shortly before we got her but of course that does not mean she does not have something that what ever she got did not treat. She was in a very large herd before. Because she is not the thriftiest grower or the most aggressive eater parasites are something that has been on my radar with her. I will start looking more into it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Demodectic mange can cause these symptoms, they (mites) cannot be seen with the naked eye. Can you get a picture of your girl, I think that would be very helpful. Do you have a good goat vet in your area? or a good goat vet that makes farm calls?

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am familiar with manage and have worked with it before. I really don't see any evidence that she has any. Her coat looks great and is only improving as we have her. I will try and get some photos today.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Have you checked her eyelids to see what color they are?

It could be that a better diet is causing the change. Maybe all the good nutrients she is getting now is making her skin change color. Other than color, it isn't dry or scabby or anything?

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have been super busy but wanted to post an update for you guys. Her skin is slowly returning to the normal color now. From the hair line the pigment is slowly preceding in. So now it is all pink ringed in gray. Very odd.