Need help picking cattle and pig breeds

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just got done watching Food Inc. I have been planning on raising our own meat for a couple of years, but watching this movie kicked my butt into gear. We raised our own when I was a child. My father-in-law raises Angus cattle so we also get meat off of him. My big problem is all the feed he gives his steers to feed them out.

I have Nubians and Mini Nubian goats for my milk and cheese. I also have my own chickens and ducks for eggs. I am going to raise cornish crosses and some of my ducks for meat.

We have a little under 8 acres where we live. My father-in-law has over 150. So, I could run a steer over on his field across the street. I really want it to be completely grass fed. My question is what breeds do best on all grass diets. I have been looking at Dexters. I know they are small but they are also dual propose breed. I have found some on Ohio that I really want. I was raised with Milking Shorthorts and love the breed but they are really big.

We also raised pigs when I was little. I really would like to get some heritage pigs for our little farm. I was thinking tamworths or herefords. I showed both breeds in the fair.

I would love any input that I can get. I have been trying to find the right breed of cattle for my small farm. I only want a cow or two. I will raise the steers up to eat.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
We have a black and belted Galloway herd on pasture and hay that live out all year with just a shelter for the worst snow storms. They thrive on a NO grain diet, are easy to handle with no calving issues. Worth checking out
As for hogs we chose large blacks which are doing very well living outside too
You might get a better response from others if you post again in the cows breeds section
Good luck

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you. I have looked into the black hogs. They sound like a good breed.

I will have to do some reading into the Galloways. I don't know if there are any around me. I will try posting in the cattle section.

Thanks again.