Need help please!!

Hardingn88

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old mini hereford. I'm completely new to cattle so its definitely been a learning curve on my end. She was bred when I purchased her but I'm unsure on what her breed date is but she has started to show signs for a few weeks now. (I was confident she was going to birth 3 weeks ago). She has been springing for min 4 weeks as well as bagging up.
She starting strutting her teats last week and the tail head has been raised since then as well. Friday night she was walking around with her tail slightly raised for a few hours but then went back to normal by the next morning. She's had mucus discharge for a few months now.
As of this morning the baby was still kicking (I'm currently at work) I'm going to attach pictures and see if this would be cause to call a vet out or wait a few more days. The photo was taken last night.
Thank you guys ahead of time

Attachments

• 20220417_180343.jpg
    20220417_180343.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 126

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see nothing that would need a call to the vet at this point. It is hard to tell from the pictures how full her udder is; or the shape of the vulva and how loose it is. Many cows will have a discharge off and on before they calve. Some show nothing... then are off by themselves with a new calf on the ground.
Since she is 5, I am assuming she has calved before. That is encouraging as she ought to know what she is doing. If you can still feel the calf moving, or see it on her side when they turn or kick , then the calf has not moved into position to be born yet.
The problem is not having any idea of when she got bred. How long have you had her? Was she preg checked when you got her? The vet should have been able to give you a good idea of approx how far along she was.
If you are due for a weather change then she will probably calve then... I am sorta kidding but the change in atmospheric pressure will often cause an animal to give birth. Still, unless she is laying around acting like she is in labor and having problems, there is no reason to call the vet. Do you have a good relationship with this vet? So that if you do find her with a problem, they will come out on a farm call for an "emergency"... ?? By not knowing her breeding date, there is no way to tell if she goes over her due date. And for general information, a breeding date and projected due date... is just PROJECTED... I have had cows have calves 1-2 weeks early and had a few go 2 weeks over. As long as she is eating, drinking and laying around chewing her cud like "no big deal".... you shouldn't be over thinking this.
All that said, mini breeds have more breeding and calving issues than normal regular sized animals. If she goes off her feed, stands out in a corner and acts way out of character, then a call to the vet may be in order... If she has a calf with only 1 leg or just it's head out, call the vet... if the hooves are bottom side up, the calf is breech and may need help... need to get it out fast because they can drown in the fluids since the head is last instead of first out. I am assuming that you have read up on what is considered normal presentation... 2 front feet, head sorta sitting on the legs as it comes out...
Sometimes the shoulders get stuck in blocky fronted cattle. Herefords are known for that... The easiest thing to do is to only pull on one leg at a time... sorta easing one shoulder through before the other... instead of square out... sometimes the hips will get stuck, so you can rotate the calf a bit; pulling towards one side or the other, to wiggle it out.
And if you do pull for any reason, pull DOWN towards the hocks/feet... do not pull straight back. It puts pressure on the nerves in the spine and can cause paralysis... the cow may have a foot/leg that kinda drags or the pasterns/hooves are knuckled under some. It has to do with pinching the nerves in the spine.

Tail up in the air , or extended out behind her is her way to relieve some of the pressure on the nerves in the spine... not to get too concerned about unless there is something showing a problem.

I don't have alot of experience with mini cattle, per se, but with cattle in general.

Hardingn88

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you so much for the response! It was so informative. I've researched normal presentation and I'm really hoping this turns into an easy birth being the first on the farm lol

We got her August 15th of last year and she has not been exposed to a bull since then. She has calved at least twice that I'm aware of.

I am home from work and just checked on her and it looks like the only change is the area between the pin bone and tail head seems quite squishy and the ligament is much softer but still there. She is having a red colored discharge as well tonight.
Still excited about feed, drinking and grazing.
I didn't see or feel any kicks but was only out there for about 20 mins before starting dinner.

Attachments

• 20220418_190735.jpg
    20220418_190735.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220418_190907.jpg
    20220418_190907.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20220418_191257.jpg
    20220418_191257.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 121

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Baymule ... but not the best.... just been around a long time.
Just for a comparison... if she got bred the day you got her Aug 15th, her projected due date is May 22nd... so she was not but about a
month bred when you got her..?.. I would say she is fairly close to calving. Udder looks pretty full for a cow... often a cow does not "udder up" until very close to calving... heifers can get an udder and it can be tight looking a month or more ahead of time... but a cow often gets filled up and tight a day to a week or so ahead... EVERY ONE IS DIFFERENT.
If I were a betting person, I would say in the next 2-5 days... looking up close at the pictures. The discharge looks like the "plug" is passing.. so I would think fairly soon.
Can you go into your profile top right, click on your name, and go down to account details, and then to location... and give a general area - state - something to tell people your general location? It helps especially if there is different types of grass or soils or WEATHER to contend with, when it comes to trying to help newcomers.
Her normal activity is the closest clue you will have. Since you have had her quite awhile, you should know her habits fairly well....
If you just feel something is not right... is there a closeby farmer with cattle that you know and like that could take a look at her??? That is always my first suggestion... not trying to be cheap, but why call out a vet over "nothing" because you are not exactly sure of what you are looking at.... But if not, then being willing to pay the vet might also help to cement the relationship with them, even if it is strictly for your peace of mind. But I would hope that you will go out and find a nice calf just snoozing away in the grass that she has quietly gone ahead and popped out for you....

Hardingn88

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well everything went great. We had our first calf born yesterday morning. Sadly I was at work but was able to go check on them on lunch. Momma and the baby are doing great!

Attachments

• 20220421_071411.jpg
    20220421_071411.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 121

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There isn’t much that’s cuter than a newborn white face calf……. Maybe a spotted piglet. LOL

Heifer or bull calf?