Need help to prevent possible disaster pregnancy

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I recently got 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats. My buckling goes on Saturday to be banded. He was born 4/8. My doeling was born 4/14. I thought that bc she was still too young to be in cycle that the timing of his banding was perfect. They are kept together and I don’t have another pen to separate right now.

BUT I just found out that my boy could potentially still be fertile for many weeks after his banding!!! I’m floored. I had no idea and now I am very anxious wondering how I am going to keep them separated!!!

The only thing I can think of is to keep one in the house overnight and tethered outside my back door where I can see him/her during the day.

But I don’t feel very confident about that idea ... I mean goats poop and pee. I don’t mind picking up a little mess, I have hard floors, no carpet. But would a dog crate work to crate the one in the house at night? Will he/she make a lot of noise through the night that will disturb my other family members?

If I do this, should I bring in the doeling or the buckling or does it matter. Should alternate so one doesn’t get their feelings hurt?

Will the other be lonely? They are each others companions.

I can’t believe I found myself in this mess. And I really thought I was getting a handle on things!

Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated!

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If it were me I would leave everyone together as harm may already be done. And, I would wait until newly banded boy is no longer fertile and get some leutylize from vet to give the doeling. Check with vet to see how many days/weeks you need to wait. I would think three weeks after banding???

Anyone who could be pregnant (as in people) should not chance handling leutalyze. I wear nitrile gloves when I handle it. I have used it a lot over the years on horses, cattle, sheep, goats and never had and problems with it in the critters. It is used to synchronize heats and initiate labor/delivery.

However, I once accidently aresolized it clearing a syringe and inhaled mist.... instant asthma attack, not fun!!! A couple cups of strong coffee and I was OK.

I am not a vet, just sharing what has worked for me.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it were me I would leave everyone together as harm may already be done. And, I would wait until newly banded boy is no longer fertile and get some leutylize from vet to give the doeling.

At the age of the doeling this would be highly improbable. The earliest I have seen any of our Nigerians cycle was 9 weeks, 12 is more typical. Although a buck MAY be fertile at 8 weeks the likelihood of anything happening up to now would almost be miraculous.

The "damage" is highly unlikely however you do need to separate them now. I would not worry about Lute or any of that. Set up a dog kennel or something similar and at least they can share a fenceline.

Don't beat yourself up over it either. Your breeder should have told you this.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do you have any way to divide the area they are currently in for the short time needed? That way they can still hang out and see each other.

@Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @OneFineAcre @babsbag

I was just out there with them, hanging out and tidying up and I saw Spice mount Sugar. Not in that playful, hop on hop off way ... but the humping way! I was horrified! I shoved him off her and enclosed him in the shelter and left her in the fenced area that extends out from the shelter. I fear it may be too late. They’ve been outside in the yard together all afternoon and the days prior. Who knows if this was the first time? They were both very unhappy to be in separate areas, but they can see each other through the slats in the shelter.

I don’t know how I could divide the shelter, but I think I could section off some of the fenced area. Maybe. Then that would just leave night time. Aiyieyie ...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did he extend? Did he fall over after? Is she in heat? Just because they jump on then doesn't mean she is bred.
Did she hunch her back?
Don't worry yourself, just separate.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If it were me I would leave everyone together as harm may already be done. And, I would wait until newly banded boy is no longer fertile and get some leutylize from vet to give the doeling. Check with vet to see how many days/weeks you need to wait. I would think three weeks after banding???

Anyone who could be pregnant (as in people) should not chance handling leutalyze. I wear nitrile gloves when I handle it. I have used it a lot over the years on horses, cattle, sheep, goats and never had and problems with it in the critters. It is used to synchronize heats and initiate labor/delivery.

However, I once accidently aresolized it clearing a syringe and inhaled mist.... instant asthma attack, not fun!!! A couple cups of strong coffee and I was OK.

I am not a vet, just sharing what has worked for me.
I can’t tell you how relieved I am to know that there is an option in a “worst case scenario!” PHEW!

I saw him try to mount her with intent just a few minutes ago. I’ve got them separated for the time being. I’m so bummed about this.

I’m going to see how they do seperated if I can figure out how to divide the shelter. And then maybe do a pregnancy test? THEN I wouldn’t have to do the shot. But I know I won’t have that done until tomorrow night tops and I would need to figure out where to put one of them through the night.

But if they fuss too much or I can’t figure it out I may need to just let them be together and do the Lutalyse. I did a quick google search and it looks to be pretty safe.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
At the age of the doeling this would be highly improbable. The earliest I have seen any of our Nigerians cycle was 9 weeks, 12 is more typical. Although a buck MAY be fertile at 8 weeks the likelihood of anything happening up to now would almost be miraculous.

The "damage" is highly unlikely however you do need to separate them now. I would not worry about Lute or any of that. Set up a dog kennel or something similar and at least they can share a fenceline.

Don't beat yourself up over it either. Your breeder should have told you this.
Thank you, I find this very reassuring. And yes I was beating myself up. I’ve been trying so hard to do things right and there sure is a lot to it! I have been learning all that i can. I felt terrible that I missed something that was so important and was worried something very bad was going to happen to my baby girl. Thank you so much for your kind words.

Id rather not use the lute if it’s not necessary, but I’m sure glad to know that there is an out for her!

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Did he extend? Did he fall over after? Is she in heat? Just because they jump on then doesn't mean she is bred.
Did she hunch her back?
Don't worry yourself, just separate.
No to all of that. They were right next to me when he hopped up on her and started humping. And I had him off immediately. I’m not sure there was even penetration. It was just the first time I had seen him do the humping movement on her before and it was right after I read your warning post in the other thread! Lol

They are seperated for right now. I’m not going to have any way to seperate them
Overnight until tomorrow though. Unless I take the chicken feeder out and put one of them in the chicken coop. It’s big and we only have 9 chickens. They spend their days in the yard together already and it would just be for one night. Am I crazy?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, you aren't crazy. Just being aware is half the battle. Keep in mind Nigerian bucklings will start humping the does at less than 24 hours old. LOL Gotta love bucks! :)

Latest posts