Need Help! Very tiny 8 week old Pygmy doeling (pics).

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just got an 8 week old pygmy doeling from an over-crowded situation where the goats were kept in the damp woods with no grass or sunshine at all. Some of the newborns were bigger than she is at 8 weeks!

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/dshoenfelt/goats036.jpg
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/dshoenfelt/goats039.jpg

This little girl was semi-rejected by her mother at first, they had to hold the mom down to let the little ones nurse. I don't know how long she did nurse, but she's been fed concentrated feed. She's been pooping little cat turd type poops I'm sure due to the feed. I gradually introduced her to grass but she still got some runny green poop from the grass. It did start to firm up again, but yesterday I gave her some probios and nutradrench (the dosage for a newborn) and today she has more runny poop and runny eyes too!

What happened? She was doing well yesterday, now I feel like I should have left well enough alone. She is still eating, but not as much. Mosting resting in the shade. She's drinking plenty of water too. What's with the runny eyes now?

I'm worried about giving her harsh worm medication right now, she's less than five pounds and seems so fragile at the moment.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would keep up the probios 2 times a day. If you can, also put save-a-calf plus electrolytes in her water.

What is her current diet?
What is her current vaccination schedule?
Have you taken her temperature?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She currently has her choice of hay and grass. She has had no vaccinations as far as I know. She does not have a fever.

I just checked on her and she is up and about, she even ran with the other two goats a little and she had a slightly formed poop.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay.

I would start her on her cd/t shot series. The entro part of the vaccine can help clear up the poo issue. Your goat is at the age that entro can hit pretty hard.

I would also run a fecal just to be sure you are not dealing with worms or cocci. You can learn to run the fecal yourself or send a stool sample to a vet for a nominal fee.

As soon as her poo clears up, I would also start her on a good grain mix to put some weight on her.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just emailed the previous owner to make sure that she has not had any vaccinations. I don't believe that this woman vaccinated them, but I thought I'd better ask to be sure.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you have a good goat vet, I would take her to the vet. Young ones can go quickly. I would have a fecal done and a general checkup on your little one. Probios is a very good microbial but if she has coccidia or something, she needs treatment now. But you really need to find out what is wrong or maybe find out what isn't wrong. A fecal at the vet's is the best place to start.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I already commented on this over on BYC, perhaps you didn't like the advice, but I strongly, strongly recommend you take it...

Good luck again.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, find out if she has been vaccinated. She needs to have 3 shots, 1 every 21 days for a total of 3 to be most effective.

Do have the fecal ran as well just to be sure of what you are dealing with.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The previous owner got back to me, she's had no shots and no worming. Calling the vet.