Need Help! Very tiny 8 week old Pygmy doeling (pics).

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Had her to the vet this morning. Wormy and high coccidia count. Also anemic and possible stomach ulcers. We're on a pretty aggressive treatment plan with two antibiotics, wormers and a corrective suspension for her possible ulcers. She's only grass and hay only, no grain and no vaccinations right now, she's too weak.

Actually she looks pretty good for all she's been through and I'm optimistic that she is going to be just fine!

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good job getting her to the vet!
What tests did the vet run?
Yes, with some TLC and treatment, I bet she will turn around for you.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The vet checked for worms and coccidia. She said that the coccidia counts were high, but never actually said she had coccidiosis. The vet said she is infested with just about every parasite that a goat can get! She said grain would be the worst thing for her, and that was primarily what she was living on before she came here!

They tubed her with electrolytes and gave her three types of wormer, two injections of antibiotics and some stuff for the diarrhea. She just dropped a firm little cat turd on the ground this evening. Her eyes seem clearer already. Her head is up, her ears are perkier, she just looks better.

This is basically the very same protocol I went through with a neglected, worm infested miniature horse six months ago. He turned around very quickly and is maturing into a beautiful little gelding. The vet was so surprised, because his prognosis was not great either.

I'm optimistic (yet realistic) that she's going to be just fine. My animals are so pampered. I'm home with them all the time, and spend the majority of my day in the barn. I notice right away if something is wrong, so I plan to give this little girl the best nursing care possible!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm devastated. We lost her. I don't understand it. She looked pretty good after we got back from the vet, or at least she looked good to me. I'm scared that the vets treatment was too aggressive for her. I just don't know. I'm not used to losing them. I didn't even get to administer any of the medications that the vet sent home with us.

I'm so upset.:hit

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is the way things often end with chronic cocci babies. Even if you can get them through a bloom, most won't survive past 6 months of age. This is why it's so important to purchase from breeders than do all the preventative care for their kids.

I am so sorry for your loss...please don't blame yourself or your vet. Most goat owners have been here before, and empathize with you completely. You did what you could.:hugs

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks. I just talked to the breeder and she is really upset too. She had no idea and seems like an amature backyard breeder to me. She's worried about the rest of her herd and I gave her advice regarding things she knew nothing about! She was clueless about parasites, I couldn't believe it! She's even considering getting out of the breeding business altogether! Maybe she should.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
sorry for your loss. lost one a couple weeks ago, whole list of problems for him. but onward.. when they are severly worm infested, i read, need to deworm with a mild wormer, getting only a partial amount of the worm load. then go back i think 10 days later with stronger wormer to get the rest. reason being, if you remove all the parisites from stomach at once, the holes bleed, causing the goat to bleed to death internally. we have found that giving red cell or other vitamin and iron supplement helps with the aneima caused by the worms. i have gotten goats that were utd on worming etc, had a horrible worm load, there are resistant worms out there. :(

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She didn't know anything about parasites? Wow..

It's one thing if you have one die of parasites and say "But I wormed it with (insert worthless, overused anthelmintic here)!" without realizing you may as well have poured it out on the ground...that's forgivable in someone new to goats...but to not even know that parasites are a primary cause of death?

That's just....pathetic. That tells me the breeder hasn't picked up the first book, nor googled the first keyword about goats.. It demonstrates a total lack of intellectual curiosity, which is a REQUISITE CHARACTERISTIC for anybody who ever wishes to be even moderately successful in keeping goats alive, let along raising and breeding goats.

Sorry about your kiddo... You should feel good about what you did, and what more you were willing and ready to do, for her while she was here.

:hugs

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I guess one good thing did come out of this. It opened up the dialog between me and the breeder about proper housing, care and parasite prevention and proper vaccination. She said she is getting her vet out there asap and will keep me posted as she continues to care for her herd. She asked me to continue to give her advice and feedback on how to provide better care for her goats.

I hope I can be of assistance to her and the rest of her goats. Hopefully, she'll get them some bigger and better pasture and housing. I informed her of how her damp conditions and our wet spring probably contributed to the parasite problem. She didn't even know anything about how goats get and transmit worms?? I couldn't believe it!

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I DON'T believe it.

It's easier to say you didn't know anything about it than to admit you knew and did nothing.

I am VERY sorry for your loss.