Need help with alternative to AA batteries

fargosmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We finally made our move to off-grid living this year and I have a lot to learn. Here’s my current challenge.
I have a battery-operated auto door installed on my chicken coop that works great when it has power. I made an external insulated box to keep the 4 AA batteries from overheating or freezing, which has worked great down to about 30 degrees or so. But now that nights are down to as low as 10 degrees the batteries just don’t hold up.
Is there another bettery format I could use that would hold up better? Or another solution.
I’m not running power to the coop. I do have an extension cord running out there to keep the water deicer running, but I don’t wat to take that any further if I don’t have to.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
One farmer used an old wind up alarm clock to open the door each morning...as the clock alarmed and the key moved, a string pulled the door upward.

Another fella came up with a really genius solution that the hens do for themselves, both opening and closing the door...and others started coming up with their own versions.

The first guy...

...the other guys.

fargosmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hmmm. All ingenious ideas. But I already have the door installed, and 80% of the time it works great. I’m going to continue to search for alternate battery configurations. Thanks for your suggestions though - I got a kick out of all of them. :)

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The batteries that go in garage door opener remotes should work and hold up to heat and cold. I’m talking the remotes mounted to a door for a code.

Latest posts