Need help with building secure fence for dog that runs away!

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to build a fence for a dog that can dig out. My dog runs away and i need a secure fence for him.

Any advice welcome!
Thanks

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Electric fence, put the bottom strand low enough where they will hit it they try to dig. Make sure it is HOT.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have talked to some people that have an electric fence and their dogs run it. Even my neighbors little yorkie will run it.

Thank You

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
These aren't underground fences. I am talking about putting up a good fence, like 2x4 horse fencing or stock panel and then using the plastic standoffs attached to T-Posts to run a row of hot wire inside the fence; it is actually attached to the wire fence. The dog has to get under the hot wire to dig under the real hard wire fence. It keeps my digger dog in just fine.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Electronic fence like an invisible fence is great BUT your dog MUST be trained to it! It also must be on ALL the time. And not a good choice if your dog isn't spayed or neutered. Takes time but I love them. We have only used the kind you bury though know people who have success with the wireless. And imho a bigger dog like a lab or shepherd is WAY easier to train than a stubborn independent terrier. Two breeds I know that take extra time (& neck shaved), & higher voltage is a heavy coated dog like a pyranese or malumute.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have read about a lot of people that keep their LGDs in with a Sportsdog underground fence. My LGD are behind a 4' fence with hot wire top and bottom, they stay put.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have read about a lot of people that keep their LGDs in with a Sportsdog underground fence. My LGD are behind a 4' fence with hot wire top and bottom, they stay put.
We did the exact same thing- 4 foot fence with a hotwire top and bottom, and our Great Pyrenees leaped it no problem...

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ya, i may try that but i just don't know that it would work.

Thanks