Need Help with Dog Problem ASAP, Please!!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess it is good that they won't be harassing you but not so good that you still have the pups part time and they aren't yours. It will be really hard to train them not to bother your turkeys when you only see them part of the time. NEIGHBORS :he

I am sure you don't want to rock the boat anymore but is there any way you can just tell them that you are going to have turkeys out and your are worried about the pups chasing them? I am sure that it is illegal for their dogs to be roaming like that. Surely they know that.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah they know it. I even put in the contract if there dogs are down here (or ours get out and are up there) for either party to call and let the other one know so they could get them. The first two times it happened and we texted them, he said "it was to be expected" like they aren't going to make effort in keeping their dogs at home. I also told him when he came to pick them up that they can be roamers and he needs to be careful of that. So now I'm banging my head on the wall. Guess the only thing to do is *somehow* figure out how to put up a fence. :(

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've heard that hotwire is cheaper, but they systems seem so complicated and I have no clue how to even start to look for the things I would need to get a hotwire fence up.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not complicated at all. We use T post and yellow tape- easier to see wider and we put 5 strands so Nigie Kids won't go through. The "tape is more expensive but we like it better.
Grounding Rod and Battery Charger or Solar... whatever works for you.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, hot wire. And it isn't really complicated once you start. For us we use hot wire in addition to fencing but I have used just the wire for interior fencing. I don't use the tape, but I like the tape and would use it if I was doing it without wire fencing. When we did ours getting the ground rods in was the hardest part and getting a good ground was hard too. Our ground is very rocky and dry in the summer and we use 3 rods tied together in a row. I also water my ground where the rods are in the summer, wet ground works better.

They make those fiberglass step on posts too and I have used some of those instead of those stand offs. Cheaper than t-posts and *maybe* easier to install. They aren't very tall but they would probably work to stop the pups from visiting.
Our charger is a DC one that we have a solar charger attached to. The fence charger runs off of a 12v battery and our solar charger keeps the battery charged. The biggest thing to remember is the wire can't touch the ground or anything metal. Also can short out sometimes when it touches a tree.

Once you get the parts you will see that it isn't hard to put together. If you have questions just ask us. You can do this :)

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We might be able to do those green t posts, but our ground is very rocky, hard, and dry as well.

Do either of you have pictures? Can you post a link or two to the equipment you are using?

Thank you!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad I don't have them as my neighbor, I'd move!!!
How long passed since the dogs went missing?? Very possible that the pups got eaten, escaped or escaped and later those neighbors found them. This happens with dogs and cats all the time, no reason it can't happen in your special case as well.
You have zero proof that they stole them, so I'd have to give them back if it were me and months had passed from them being in the yard and then MIA.
Either way...I couldn't live where my neighbors were that insane....I'd never get any sleep and slowly loose my mind...

Good luck!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They admitted having them since they were 8 weeks old, admitted they knew they were our dogs AND their house is less than 100 yards from my barn, right where the pups were born, there is no way they could not have known they were ours.