Need help with legal question about a purchased goat... UPDATE...

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Back in March I found an ad on Craigslist for milking goats for sale. I called the people and went out to look at them. I fell in love with one and went back and bought her three days later. The guy said his daughter had the pedigree and that he would get it to me as soon as he got it from her. I asked him a couple times in emails if he had got it from her and he said "not yet". A couple weeks went by and asked him again, still no, so I asked him to mail or fax me a bill of sale for her, signed, as the ADGA said they could transfer her into my name with a signature from him. He said sure he will send it. Well it's been another month and 2 emails later and I have not heard back from him. So I'm assuming by this point he is not going to send it?

I was super new to goats and had no idea what I was doing. :hu I will never buy another goat without pedigree in hand. :he

I have her ADGA number and pedigree printed offline.

I've had her for three months now, so how do I go about putting her in my name? :idunno

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Never buy a goat without a receipt and have it all in writing, that he/she will give you the papers. I was screwed by a Nigerian owner once. Never will it happen again!!

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
About getting her in your name, idk. I guess you could call the registry. They might be able to help. GL to you!!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you guy please tell me what "the registry" is? (sorry for my ignorance)...

I have been emailing someone who works at ADGA, is that the same thing?

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
I kinda have the same problem. I paid quite alot for goats with papers! 6 months later, I'm still asking for the papers. I really don't know...

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SmallFarmGirl said:
I kinda have the same problem. I paid quite alot for goats with papers! 6 months later, I'm still asking for the papers. I really don't know...

OIY!!! Well at least I'm not alone! Please let me know when you get it figured out and I'll do the same.

I'm going to email that lady I've been talking to and see what she says...

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch, every goat has a "pedigree" of some sort, so what you are asking for is Registration certificates or signed applications/bills of sale to get the goats transferred into your name. The person you purchased the goats from may not have the papers and that is why he isn't giving you any. In other words, the goats may not even be registered stock. In this case, it may just be a buyer beware situation and you may never get papers. Any time you purchase animals that are advertised as registered, before you take possession of the goats, make sure you have those papers in your hand when you leave with them. CraigsList can be notorious for selling things that are not what the seller claims they are.

Sorry you are going through this, and hopefully you can get it worked out. I don't think ADGA (one of the registries for dairy goats) can do much to help. You could have an attorney write a letter to the person who sold the goats to you as registered stock that you demand the papers and if they are not received within "x" number of days, you will take him to small claims court. Did you get a receipt for your payment or anything from the person in writing selling the goats to you?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I may be in error here but if the seller is a member of the association for which he was offering papers on the goat, I would think you could report him to the association and they might be able to put some pressure on him as well.

Latest posts