Need help

Chrystal Smith

Herd lurker
Reaction score
My husband and I were giving 6 piglets. I do not know anything about them. Can anyone help me identify the breed and how much they may sell for?

Attachments

• IMG_20181110_120416_011.jpg
    IMG_20181110_120416_011.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20181110_123448_011.jpg
    IMG_20181110_123448_011.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 231

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Chrystal, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Can't you get the breed info from the people who gave them to you? The first pic showing the piglets with spots my first thought was GOS (Gloucestershire Old Spot). And they may have that in them along with some other breed or breeds... The second pic with the single looks like a smaller breed to me... maybe a pot belly or Juliana (sp?)... I don't know much about pigs aside from how to cook them, and that they taste wonderful :drool

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My husband and I were giving 6 piglets. I do not know anything about them. Can anyone help me identify the breed and how much they may sell for?
I had initially thought it might be a mix of Glaucashire Old Spots and Tamworth. Just by looking at them I’m wondering if they might be a mini pig which I don’t anything about. Possibly Kunekune breed. If that’s what they are and pure they are a costly pig $600 being the low end of the price scale. In the upper Midwest a mixed breed feeder pigs are anywhere between $50-125 each. Larger the feeder pig the more it costs. I have seen newly weened pigs as cheap as $35.

Your best bet would be asking the person you got them from. Price factors depend on weight, purebred, registered or not, and the seller. Some people think they are selling gold others are more reasonable. My guess on the first picture is a mix of GOS and Tamsworth if they are a bigger pig. I think they are smaller though, possibly KuneKune.