Need info on setting up a dairy

Laskaland

Just born
Reaction score
Hello!
I am compiling info about setting up a very small dairy herd. I spent summers on my grandparents dairy farm in Wisconsin, but I am not looking to have their 500 head operation, just 2 or 3 to get started, to fufill our own needs.

So, I was looking at portable equipment for milking. I am looking at either Holstein or Guerneys.

I need to know:
1) What is the best brand for milking equipment for my size place (why) I plan to milk one at a time.... (I have milked by hand, and that would not be my first choice)

2) What equipment would work best, and be the easiest for my kids (9 and 6 )to help with too?

I will have more questions, but I thought this would be the best way for me to start compiling practicality and info!!
Christina

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome Where are you located?

I have experience with Surge buckets, Delaval buckets, and Surge pipeline. The pipline is the easiest on a person but, maybe overkill for you. So out of the buckets I would recommend the Delaval. They sit on the floor whereas the Surge you need to put a strap on the cow and hang the bucket from the strap. Not so fun with a heifer to break and it gets old with seasoned cows too!

If the kids are going to help a step saver would be easier for them to poor the milk into rather than lift as high as a bulktank, if you are going to be using a bulktank. It's more to clean though. I wouldn't let the 6 yr old milk just yet either. Kute Kitten is 10 and she occasionally helps milk the quiter cows and has done so for about a year. Remember, any cow can kick and your child really needs to be old enough to understand that and react appropiatley to it.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
Laskaland said:
Hello!
I am compiling info about setting up a very small dairy herd. I spent summers on my grandparents dairy farm in Wisconsin, but I am not looking to have their 500 head operation, just 2 or 3 to get started, to fufill our own needs.

So, I was looking at portable equipment for milking. I am looking at either Holstein or Guerneys.

I need to know:
1) What is the best brand for milking equipment for my size place (why) I plan to milk one at a time.... (I have milked by hand, and that would not be my first choice)

2) What equipment would work best, and be the easiest for my kids (9 and 6 )to help with too?

I will have more questions, but I thought this would be the best way for me to start compiling practicality and info!!
Christina
first off welcome to bycows.
1.surge or boumatic are get milkers.since your going to milk 2 or 3 cows you need a bucket milker.
2.see 1
youll need a barn with concrete floor in it.an have power an water ran to it.youll need 3 or 4 stalls/stanchions to milk in.

Laskaland

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you Farmer Kitty! I know you from backyard chickens (my project started in 2008!)

So, I buy this milker... they say I hook it up to a vacuum, suction thing. What is that? I mean I get the bucket thing, and how you hook it up to teets (i have done that) but, where does the power to make the suction come from??? Is that the vacumm thing? Can it be hooked up to an alternate power source? I know at my g. parents dairy all the hoses went to a huge recepticle that the milk truck emptied.

Thank you for baring with me :) I will have more questions!!
Hugs
Christina

Laskaland

Just born
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
first off welcome to bycows.
1.surge or boumatic are get milkers.since your going to milk 2 or 3 cows you need a bucket milker.
2.see 1
youll need a barn with concrete floor in it.an have power an water ran to it.youll need 3 or 4 stalls/stanchions to milk in.
Thank you for the welcome!!! :bun
We have an old hog shed that I will be sectioning off for the cows and it leads right to the pasture- we have about 75 acres +/- of natural pasture. In the fall we have cornstalks they can munch on, with preparation for feed in the winter..

so, with the bucket milker, where do you get the power to get the pulsing on the teets?
Thanks for your patience....
Christina

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you follow this link equipment page you will see a few different types of milking equipment. With a bucket you only need the vacuum line (white) shown in the pipeline-barn end pic. That carries the vacuum to hold the unit on the cow and to suction the milk into the bucket. The pulsation comes from the pulsator head on the end of the hose-that's what you plug in to the vacuum line. There are two main types of pulsation-electric and vacuum. Electric is by far the better and more reliable type. There are wires running to the thing you plug into (can't remember it's name) and when you plug in the pulsation is started. Just as easy as that.

They do make small vacuum pumps although you may have to hunt for one.

In my sig. below is the link to the Index of useful info. I would recommend that if you haven't already you check out the "my pages" and threads listed there too.

Laskaland

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks Kitty!
What part of wisconsin are you in? I grew up in Milwaukee, went to school at Madison. My grandparents farmed in Jefferson County- south central WI.
I will check out the links :)
So glad that there are people to help me, that aren't out to sell me!!
Hugs
Christina

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Google portable milkers and there is tons of information. Personally I LOVE my Surge milkers. Still on vac pulsators and never have an issue.

Delaval is over priced in my honest opinion compared to an older surge bucket. Plastic on the delaval up against all stainless steel construction on a surge. that in and of itself is a big consideration. Especially in a cold climate.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We're in a cold climate too (about to become a deep freezer again :rolleyes: )and have had less trouble with the plastic on the claw than with the stainless steel teat cup shells.