need info using buck as a stud

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a young pygmy buck that has never mated before and a woman asked if I would stud him out to her doe. I have never done that before and don't know much about it. I want to protect my herd from disease and from any liability that something goes wrong with her goat. I guess what I am asking is what vaccines should my goat have before breeding besides CDT and what should I ask her for to show her goats have been vaccine and are not going to pass a disease to my herd. If I decide to do it, I am still riding the fence on it.:hu

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
As a rule I don't lease my bucks out. I sometimes will breed does fo people who purchased their does from me.

Most people that have clean herds that test themselves for CAE,CL and Johnes would want documentation that the other herd was negative.

There are also sexually transmitted disease like Clamidia that goats can get.

If I were you I would just politely decline.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you, I do believe that I will decline. I learned the hard when buying chickens how easy they get sick didn't want to take a chance on my goats. Now I am new to owning goats how do they test for CAE, CL and Johnes.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a blood test. I send mine to Sage Ag Labs, they have a bio-security screening that is reasonably priced.