Need kidding help ASAP

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just wanted to fill everyone In took bloss ok m to the vet she had a dead baby sticking out of her just the nose come to find out there would if been nothing i could of done even earlier had an emergency c section both babies were way to big to pass through the birth canal so shes home testing not out of the woods yet due to so much decay.. here's a pic of her some being pulled out and wasnt even all the way out now mind you she is only 26" tall at the shoulders
20180801_140247.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for taking her!! Hopefully she will be able to recover. The op is not the problem, actually. The toxins from the dead kids is it. I am sure the vet loaded her with all he safely could and more to come. Do as vet has instructed and call in an instant if she isn't getting better reasonably soon. She's gonna be down for a few days at first.

:hugs & prayers. Keep us posted, pls. We care.

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yesb
Thank you for taking her!! Hopefully she will be able to recover. The op is not the problem, actually. The toxins from the dead kids is it. I am sure the vet loaded her with all he safely could and more to come. Do as vet has instructed and call in an instant if she isn't getting better reasonably soon. She's gonna be down for a few days at first.

:hugs & prayers. Keep us posted, pls. We care.
I have to give her 8cc of penicillin twice a day I couldnt lose he shes such a special goat for being my first shes so sweet and lovable one of a kind.. I can always breed her aging down the road but couldnt find another goat like her thanks for your alls support and help

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everyone was giving you the right advice. She was definitely in labor and needed help. So glad you took her to the vet. I'm sorry you lost the kids. Luckily Blossom made it through surgery, and hopefully the antibiotics will take care of any infection.
Was she bred to a pure Alpine buck? I am not sure how big Kinders get but I think they are much smaller than Alpines. Is that right? Breeding a small breed goat to a full size breed really causes this sort of problem - oversize kids in a small doe.
Once the doe is in hard labor, the kids must come out within an hour or they won't make it. I prefer to err on the side of going in and pulling kids if I am in doubt. If the doe can't have the kids, she will stop all pushing and the kids die anyway. If the vulva feels tight, you can massage the muscles to soften them and gradually enlarge the cervix. You need to get a book with pictures of how kids are normally positioned, and read about situations like this.

I used to have my 4-H project kids put stuffed animals in a pillow case and have them feel and identify what parts they were feeling. This helped them feel confident about their goats kidding. They still called me, but at least they knew what was going on and understood the procedure.

Hope you have better luck next time. You should be able to identify the stages of labor now so you will be more confident and able to intervene in time. Everything is a learning situation. :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, so sorry that both of you had to endure this. I've had does who had C-sections and mini horses is right - her fight now will be to overcome having those dead kids inside her for awhile. So very glad you got her to a vet in time to give her a chance. Goats, like most prey animals, are meant to have their kids very quickly. You know this now and it's something you'll never forget. It will make you a better goat owner even though it was a very hard lesson. :hugs And another :hugsfor Blossom.

Please keep us informed on how she's doing.

Luvinthefarmlife

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Everyone was giving you the right advice. She was definitely in labor and needed help. So glad you took her to the vet. I'm sorry you lost the kids. Luckily Blossom made it through surgery, and hopefully the antibiotics will take care of any infection.
Was she bred to a pure Alpine buck? I am not sure how big Kinders get but I think they are much smaller than Alpines. Is that right? Breeding a small breed goat to a full size breed really causes this sort of problem - oversize kids in a small doe.
Once the doe is in hard labor, the kids must come out within an hour or they won't make it. I prefer to err on the side of going in and pulling kids if I am in doubt. If the doe can't have the kids, she will stop all pushing and the kids die anyway. If the vulva feels tight, you can massage the muscles to soften them and gradually enlarge the cervix. You need to get a book with pictures of how kids are normally positioned, and read about situations like this.

I used to have my 4-H project kids put stuffed animals in a pillow case and have them feel and identify what parts they were feeling. This helped them feel confident about their goats kidding. They still called me, but at least they knew what was going on and understood the procedure.

Hope you have better luck next time. You should be able to identify the stages of labor now so you will be more confident and able to intervene in time. Everything is a learning situation. :hugs
She was bred before I got her to a oberhasli buck which is a fancy term for swiss alpine they get anywhere from 30"-35" tall to big for her

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im sorry you lost the babe. I pray that blossom will pull through and that both of you will heal. Im sure you’ll be giving her some extra love these next few days. :hugs