m700

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
-

Last edited:

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I saw this right after you posted but did not respond as I don't really know what is a good amount of milk for the small sized goats. All I can tell you is that, when I was sure they were not drinking enough, I insisted they drink if they were weak or let them get hungry if they were alert and active. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, welcome to BYH! :welcome

How much do these kids weigh? Are they from large litters?
I do think you need to increase each feeding. The kid might have over ate on the 6oz feeding.
It is normal if they take a lot of milk on the first feeding, they might not want as much on the second feeding. But, the appetite should come back by the third or fourth feeding.
Are these guys in your house? Have you taken their temp?

I would look at giving a B complex injection, this will help stimulate appetite. If you can get JumpStart Plus gel from TSC that might be good too. This year we had a mini kid that was just stubborn. She didn't want to take the bottle, I finally got her on the big, clear nipples from TSC. She didn't have the vigor that her 2 siblings have/had. We gave some B vit (thiamine actually) and she seemed a bit better. I have her on 5oz, 4x a day (not a dwarf).

I had a set of quads born 10 days ago, these are their birth weights:
1st doe (Dot) 3lb 1oz
2nd doe (Not Dot) 2lb 13oz
3rd doe (Splash) 2lb 9oz
Boy 3lb 5oz

The first few days they were on 2oz every few hours (as they told me when they were hungry LOL). A few days after that they were put on 3oz 4x daily and a late night feeding if they cried for it, sometimes I'd give the big boy some extra if I thought he needed it. Now they are 10 days old and are going to 4oz 4x daily. It's not good that they've haven't eaten in 12 hours, but not critical at this point. You just don't want it to continue.

Are they able to run around and play? Kids that are in dog crates or penned up might not want to eat because they don't use and energy. When we have kids in the house (we have 8 in some large crates due to the cold weather!) we need to let them bounce and play before they eat. This is very important for the larger breeds especially.

The breeder really should have had them fully trained to a bottle before they were sold. The breeder might not be experienced, but it is not good practice to just sell young kids who haven't been on the bottle.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everything @Goat Whisperer said but she forgot to mention- sometimes if all conditions are met- playtime, vitamins etc and it is strictly she won't take a bottle you can train her to drink from a bowl.
Also make sure the milk is very warm VERY! If it is cool or lukewarm they usually don't take it. Milk cools very quickly in the bottles.

The jumpstart is a real good thing to give.
Not having any background info the kids may be somewhat deficient or birthing issues could have made them weak.

NEVER try to feed any kid if the mouth is cold. If you put your finger in their mouth and it is cold DO NOT FEED. Warm the kid first check mouth and then try to feed.

The doeling may benefit from having some goat drench (available at tsc) rubbed on her gums.

m700

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The buckling is 4.5 lbs and the doeling is 5.5 lbs.

They were part of triplets but I only took the two.

I do think the buckling ate too much yesterday and that is why he is laying off today.

Yes, they are living in my house. I have them in a pack and play with puppy pads and tons of warm blankets. Then I have a larger puppy pen that offers them room to walk around with puppy pads and blankets. I also take them outside a couple times a day, and bring them around the outer part of my goat paddock (so that they aren't directly in with each other) which seems to comfort them.

They are acting normal otherwise, running around, hopping, nibbling at the ground.

I took their temps about an hour ago, the boy was 101.6 and the girl was 102.1

I got them both to suck down a couple of sips but nothing major or anything that would make me feel better, it wasn't even a full ounce.

When I asked the breeder just about how many times and how many ounces should I feed, she told me every four to five times every 3-4 hours but not overnight. Then when I asked how much she told me as much as they want. I was confused, I mean I know as babies they need all they can get but I know overfeeding can be a huge issue. I asked again and she just kept saying just let them eat and eat until they don't want it anymore. So, I never got a definitive amount, that's why when they were only taking about 1-3 ounces each feeding I was freaking out because I was never told how much these types of goats intake. Also, when she told me no overnight feedings and they were only two days when I got them, that concerned me... maybe I'm wrong but I just felt like those tiny little babies needed something overnight, so I was offering it and if they took it I obviously allowed them to have it.

I had been searching for a buckling to add to my herd for a while, this wasn't just a whim decision. I had done my research and talked to people, but the funny thing is everyone told me "Bottle feeding baby goats is such a joy and so easy, they will be super friendly in the end so it's definitely worth it." No one tells you that it may go downhill and that sometimes it doesn't always work out with the bottle right away. Obviously, I took all that into consideration, just like any animal that you may purchase, but the breeder made me feel super confident that it would go smoothly. Like I said I have bottle fed many puppies, I felt like with my experience in that, that I could handle this. Which I can, it's just been kinda scary and very stressful.

It was kind of odd to me that she didn't take them off the bottle once she had an inquiry. She listed them on a site saying they were born last night and when I contacted her she told me they were ok to go the next day. So, they were with their mom for 2 days. I assured her that I was very interested and would be coming out to get him, that's why I'm wondering why she didn't take him off mom then and start him on the bottle. If it didn't work out when she tried it, she could have told me he doesn't have the handle of it yet and to wait. I recall every other breeder I talked to telling me that if I was interested to let them know ASAP so they can pull the baby off mom and start them on the bottle for me.

The boy still hasn't pooped today that I have seen, may have to do an enema as the breeder suggested. I have been using baby wipes to stimulate the area to make him go, no luck today.

Anyway, thank you very much for all the information, it has been very helpful and I will probably be making a run to TSC tonight to try some of those things out. Breeder told me to wait until 8-9 pm to try and feed again but don't exceed 4 feedings. We'll see how it goes!

First, welcome to BYH! :welcome

How much do these kids weigh? Are they from large litters?
I do think you need to increase each feeding. The kid might have over ate on the 6oz feeding.
It is normal if they take a lot of milk on the first feeding, they might not want as much on the second feeding. But, the appetite should come back by the third or fourth feeding.
Are these guys in your house? Have you taken their temp?

I would look at giving a B complex injection, this will help stimulate appetite. If you can get JumpStart Plus gel from TSC that might be good too. This year we had a mini kid that was just stubborn. She didn't want to take the bottle, I finally got her on the big, clear nipples from TSC. She didn't have the vigor that her 2 siblings have/had. We gave some B vit (thiamine actually) and she seemed a bit better. I have her on 5oz, 4x a day (not a dwarf).

I had a set of quads born 10 days ago, these are their birth weights:
1st doe (Dot) 3lb 1oz
2nd doe (Not Dot) 2lb 13oz
3rd doe (Splash) 2lb 9oz
Boy 3lb 5oz

The first few days they were on 2oz every few hours (as they told me when they were hungry LOL). A few days after that they were put on 3oz 4x daily and a late night feeding if they cried for it, sometimes I'd give the big boy some extra if I thought he needed it. Now they are 10 days old and are going to 4oz 4x daily. It's not good that they've haven't eaten in 12 hours, but not critical at this point. You just don't want it to continue.

Are they able to run around and play? Kids that are in dog crates or penned up might not want to eat because they don't use and energy. When we have kids in the house (we have 8 in some large crates due to the cold weather!) we need to let them bounce and play before they eat. This is very important for the larger breeds especially.

The breeder really should have had them fully trained to a bottle before they were sold. The breeder might not be experienced, but it is not good practice to just sell young kids who haven't been on the bottle.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi m700. I've only raised two kids but I would say if they are acting normal you need to relax a bit. I do know that sometimes bottle babies can get a bit constipated if you mix up their milk too strong. I had that problem with a bummer lamb last spring (my avatar, Marvin).
If I may make a suggestion... instead of baby wipes find the roughest washcloth or rag, terrycloth type, and use hot tap water to wet it. The cloth will cool some when you shake it out, but make sure it is still warm. It is much more similar to the mother's actual tongue and will help stimulate them better. Rinse and repeat.
As Marvin got older this process turned into washing his face, ears and dirty spots. He LOVED bath time!
Best of luck to you, keep us posted!

m700

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are on goats milk and whole cows milk mixed in because once I run out I will have them on whole cows milk only. Only because there's no where close enough to me that sell goats milk. I was able to purchase 2 gallons from the breeders friend. Some were frozen I'm just getting to those ones now, I noticed when I heat it up it has a sour smell is this normal? I don't remember that last time I used goats milk. The breeder also said maybe stop putting the cows milk in for now (it's only a tiny bit to help trainsition)

QUOTE="Southern by choice, post: 482947, member: 6771"]What kind of milk are they on?[/QUOTE]

m700

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That's actually what I was using at first, because they didn't poop the first two days i had them. Then someone said try something less rough because it may be irritating them. I think I should start listening to my gut a bit more LOL. I'm going to start using a wash cloth again. Thanks guys you all have been so helpful!

QUOTE="LocoYokel, post: 482957, member: 15885"]Hi m700. I've only raised two kids but I would say if they are acting normal you need to relax a bit. I do know that sometimes bottle babies can get a bit constipated if you mix up their milk too strong. I had that problem with a bummer lamb last spring (my avatar, Marvin).
If I may make a suggestion... instead of baby wipes find the roughest washcloth or rag, terrycloth type, and use hot tap water to wet it. The cloth will cool some when you shake it out, but make sure it is still warm. It is much more similar to the mother's actual tongue and will help stimulate them better. Rinse and repeat.
As Marvin got older this process turned into washing his face, ears and dirty spots. He LOVED bath time!
Best of luck to you, keep us posted![/QUOTE]