Need some ideas for an exhibit at the fair

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I will be doing the It's Fiber Optics! exhibit at our county fair...basically it has anything to deal with wool, cotton, any type of non-man-made fiber, really. So far I have a sheep shearing demonstration in place but do you guys have any ideas? Maybe activities for kids?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
I will be doing the It's Fiber Optics! exhibit at our county fair...basically it has anything to deal with wool, cotton, any type of non-man-made fiber, really. So far I have a sheep shearing demonstration in place but do you guys have any ideas? Maybe activities for kids?
Wishing you luck. Can the children do something with the wool that you shear when you do your demonstration? I think they would be interested on what it feels like? Let them make bracelets? Some activity they could work with the wool and take a piece of it home with them. Something I think they will remember. Just my thoughts. :)

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Can you get enough roving for them to learn to felt? It's easy to teach them to felt little geode balls . They just pick a color to start, then keep adding colors as they go. As long as they use hot water and firm pressure and a bit of soap, they should easily be able to do it. The first felting experience I had was when I worked on a farm that had field trips and one of the trips was an elementary class that came to visit, and they also got a felting lesson after they saw all the sheep. :) You can even dye wool with kool-aid if you can get a fleece or two donated.

Tracey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
our local fiber festival had kids making felted alpaca soap bars. Some cheap cakes of soap and raw alpaca fiber. Kids loved it and had a great take home gift. Cheers!