Need to know about all black goat health signs. Please help

ElliottTheGoat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They don't like to be upside down. And this was not to save his life, just carry him. Anyways his ribs are hard to feel because of his fat belly but I can feel his spine and his hip bones and he was also like that when I picked him up.

ElliottTheGoat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I can't really afford a fecal right now. I don't want to get into it, but my finances are horrible and it was unforseen. I'd rather get him meds he needs now then wait 2 more weeks to cure whatever it is. What is a safe dose of corid and a safe dose of safeguard or ivermectin to give him

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I understand being tight!
I you'd like, I can send you a link for a place that you can mail in fecals. It is a $5 fee, this might be more cost effective over spending $40+ on meds he may or may not need.

If you drench him, be VERY careful as most goats HATE it.

ElliottTheGoat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That would be great. Thank you! It's just right now I can do one or the other. Is he an ok weight/feeling for his age also? He is very alert and calls to me when I come outside, just don't know if he's a little thin because he's in the teenage stage all animals go through or what. He's definitely getting enough to eat that's for sure!

ElliottTheGoat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Here he is. Hard to get him to stand not in my face haha

Attachments

• 20160913_172839.jpg
    20160913_172839.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 80

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am not an expert AT ALL, i'm sorry. For reference here is my Nigerian Dwarf boys that are about 3 months.
(They'd rather cuddle then get a photo taken, haha)
image.jpeg

(He was half alseep)
image.jpeg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I can't really afford a fecal right now. I don't want to get into it, but my finances are horrible and it was unforseen. I'd rather get him meds he needs now then wait 2 more weeks to cure whatever it is. What is a safe dose of corid and a safe dose of safeguard or ivermectin to give him

I too understand money issues. That aside: The problem with this statement is twofold... The largest being you want to treat him now, but you don't even know if, or what the potential issue is, or what to treat for. Then you don't have the money for a fecal, but you have the money to spend on rather expensive medications?

I understand your anxiety over this animal's health and condition, but what you're proposing could easily kill him worst case, or be a complete waste of time best case... You are upset at the fact that the previous owner carried him upside down by the legs, but that is minor compared to what you are proposing.

Please think this through. Use what funds you have to try to determine IF there is a problem, and if so, WHAT the problem is. THEN you can take the steps necessary to deal with it if it exists.

Latest posts