Need to know about all black goat health signs. Please help

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
He looks like maybe he's a little lean, but it's hard to tell in the pic. Does he have a good layer of fat over his ribs?
How old is he again? I think you said 4 months. What is his current weight?
If you can, I think it would be best to run the fecal first. If he has a very high load, you would treat it differently then a moderate or lower load to help avoid the risk of internal bleeding.

Here is the link-
http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/instructions.php

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of people don't like Corid but I will give the information and let you decide. I personally have used it with no problems, but others say otherwise. The powder is hard to dose as the mixing directions are for large quantities. I have seen liquid in smaller amounts than a gallon at TSC.

Since worming a goat with a heavy worm load with Ivermectin can be dangerous I would use Safequard for goats. The dose is 4 times what is listed on the bottle and you need to do it 3 days in a row and repeat in 10 day.

But again, the fecal would be best.

CoRid (amprollium) - Over-the-counter product for preventing and treating coccidiosis. Comes in granular packets and gallon liquid. This product is a thiamine inhibitor, so knowledgeable professionals recommend against its use. Albon or its generic equivalent Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% (Dimethox 12.5%) is preferred over CoRid. If you must use CoRid, buy the gallon liquid and maintain better control over dosages. Follow package directions. Treatment dosage: Mix 1 oz CoRid in 5 oz. water and orally drench the sick goats twice a day for five consecutive days; kids should receive 20-40 cc of this mixture twice a day, while adults should receive 40-80 cc. This is a higher-than-label dosage but is what it takes to control coccidia in goats. For prevention of coccidia, use 2 oz. per 15 gallons of water; for treatment, use 3 oz. CoRid per 15 gallons of water. Limit the goats' water supply to one source and treat for five consecutive days. Use Thiamine (Vitamin B1) daily dosing at 4 cc per 100 lbs bodyweight given IM or SQ when using CoRid.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
As all the others have said a fecal is your very first step.

Why?

Because just simply guessing and medicating can cause more issues in your kid goat.
The rumin is a balance of bacteria. Throwing any meds cocci or dewormer can stress the rumin til it shuts down. Once the rumin shuts down you may not be able to recover the goat.
It also can wear your goat down and with resistance down opens the door for other issues.

It is FAR more costly to "guess" than to simply start with the easiest diagnostic tool available. A fecal.

If the fecal shows no significant cocci, no significant parasitic load then this isn't your problem.

Heart defects, mineral deficiencies from being in utero if dam was deficient, underlying defect (internal) are all considerations.