Neighbor dog vs LGD. Eventually there will be trouble.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I think it’s a case of one resident not caring about the gate. I haven’t seen the dogs in or out today. I’m hoping for the best but prepared. I had a pit bull problem my LGDs solved but that was a decade ago so those good soldiers are gone.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
They bark to warn off predators but any predator stupid or bold enough to disregard their warnings and come after their flock just gets killed.

I agree. Folks will say they are not bred to kill predators but merely to warn them off and be a presence, but I beg to differ. A good one will not have much to say.... but will definitely kill when he gets the chance and the predator is in his territory.

My two were flat out in the yard like dead dogs one minute and the next were running like the wind up the hill and I saw a red fox running in front of them.....not a single bark, just pursuit. They haven't come back yet, but I'm sure they didn't catch that fox...gotta be REAL quick to catch a fox.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Neighborhood dogs are often more of a threat than wild predators.

Wild predators rely on stealth to hunt, kill, and eat. Being discovered and having prey warned by a barking dog will often cause them to relocate. In normal circumstances warning off game can cause them to starve, while battles with LGDs can leave them injured and unable to hunt - again possible death. Wild predators try to aoid both, rarely fighting to the death. Our resident packs of coyotes still test the boundaries to make sure my LGDs are working but seldom try for a lamb any more. The last time was right after the creek fires when all their territory had burned and they were desperate. 5 other packs relocated from burned out territories to our neighborhood and we had too many for my dogs to work on our hilly property. Before we realized how many had been added to or predator load, we made the mistake of leaving our sheep out during the night thinking the dogs were adequate and lost a lamb. The coyotes didn't have chance to eat it, but my bitch got slashed across the face as one tried to protect the kill. We went back to penning the sheep at night, and haven't had trouble since. The coyotes had lured the dogs away from the sheep in order to make the kill - easy to do on our property. They were exhausted, working 24/7, and had gotten no rest. When we penned the sheep, they curled up on either side of the fold and slept like they were dead. Made me really understand the need to match the number of LGDs to the predator load. They really are soldiers but sending them out against unmatched odds is dangerous for them and their flock. They will fight to the death for us, but by using our intelligence we can give them better odds. They are our partners not robots.

When it comes to neighborhood dogs though, there is a difference in protection. Neighborhood dogs are just out for a "good time". For most of them on a killing spree, it is sort of like spring break getting out of hand. Warning barks might deter them but they don't care about stealth hunting. They do not (normally) depend on the kill for food so will often consider the warnings of the LGDs as being playful greetings. They will learn that your LGDs are not to be taken for granted, but it might take some actually fighting to learn that they are serious. Against unfriendly dogs, they will usually turn away and find some other unfortunate who does not have LGDs.

How many LGDs do you have and how large is the area they protect? Hopefully the neighbors are just another foolish family that thinks the country means their dogs can "run free as God intended". :smack

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Neighborhood dogs are often more of a threat than wild predators.

Wild predators rely on stealth to hunt, kill, and eat. Being discovered and having prey warned by a barking dog will often cause them to relocate. In normal circumstances warning off game can cause them to starve, while battles with LGDs can leave them injured and unable to hunt - again possible death. Wild predators try to aoid both, rarely fighting to the death. Our resident packs of coyotes still test the boundaries to make sure my LGDs are working but seldom try for a lamb any more. The last time was right after the creek fires when all their territory had burned and they were desperate. 5 other packs relocated from burned out territories to our neighborhood and we had too many for my dogs to work on our hilly property. Before we realized how many had been added to or predator load, we made the mistake of leaving our sheep out during the night thinking the dogs were adequate and lost a lamb. The coyotes didn't have chance to eat it, but my bitch got slashed across the face as one tried to protect the kill. We went back to penning the sheep at night, and haven't had trouble since. The coyotes had lured the dogs away from the sheep in order to make the kill - easy to do on our property. They were exhausted, working 24/7, and had gotten no rest. When we penned the sheep, they curled up on either side of the fold and slept like they were dead. Made me really understand the need to match the number of LGDs to the predator load. They really are soldiers but sending them out against unmatched odds is dangerous for them and their flock. They will fight to the death for us, but by using our intelligence we can give them better odds. They are our partners not robots.

When it comes to neighborhood dogs though, there is a difference in protection. Neighborhood dogs are just out for a "good time". For most of them on a killing spree, it is sort of like spring break getting out of hand. Warning barks might deter them but they don't care about stealth hunting. They do not (normally) depend on the kill for food so will often consider the warnings of the LGDs as being playful greetings. They will learn that your LGDs are not to be taken for granted, but it might take some actually fighting to learn that they are serious. Against unfriendly dogs, they will usually turn away and find some other unfortunate who does not have LGDs.

How many LGDs do you have and how large is the area they protect? Hopefully the neighbors are just another foolish family that thinks the country means their dogs can "run free as God intended". :smack
I have 3 LGDs with a flock of 75 on 25 acres mostly flat, two stands of trees. Perimeter is surrounded by brush and woods except in a couple of places. LGDs are pyr, pyr xKomondor and a Anatolian x black mouthed cut. All neutered males. I have an Anatolian that isn’t working sheep but is released into empty pastures. These dogs have confronted dogs in the pasture, rolled them and all walked away. This pit bitch is aggressive on and off her property. She charged the Fed Ex driver trying to deliver in my driveway (she was fence fighting my dogs when he pulled up). Since her 3 acre yard is about 400 ft away it’s not territorial. She is tolerant of her owner’s children but others who can say? It appears she is contained but she visits the shared fence to fight if my LGDs are visible. She also tests the fence high and low. My dogs usually ignore her but not always. Pits can do a lot of damage fast and I don’t want my dogs chewed up.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are right to be wary. LGDs are big powerful dogs, but vet bills can be monstrous and injuries can take a dog out of the field for a while. However, if this bitch continues to be this aggressive, she will eventually find a way onto your property. Your dogs will take care of her but you don't need the aggravation and worry. Maybe the delivery people will report her to the sheriff as a "dangerous dog" situation.

By the way, if your LGDs do tangle with other dogs or predators, my friend and Anatolian breeder gave me a tip about dog bite injuries. Since they are usually puncture wounds which can infect quickly, he uses dry mastitis treatments to doctor them. The mastitis tubes are designed with narrow tips to insert into the teat to place the antibiotic infusion into the udder. I started using these on any puncture wound since you can get the antibiotic up into the hole easily. They are perfect for punctures and bite wounds. Nothing worse than a puncture that skins over and heals on the surface, letting the infection run rampant below the skin. Since he has about 30 Anatolians of all ages in different pastures, they often play rough, and puncture each other. He uses Tomorrow, the dry mastitis treatment. You can order I from Jeffers and other livestock suppliers. I used to use it on the dairy herd every year when we dried off the girls. Now I can't get it delivered any more here in California since they have listed ALL antibiotics as "prescription only" here since January 2019. Next time I leave the state I will have to stock up on my antibiotics and Tomorrow to bring back with me.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I’ve treated puncture with a saline wash out and antibiotics but new things are always good to know. Punctures were from coyotes. Saw it.

Last edited: