Neighbor's Dogs Killed My Pregnant Does - News Article Link in post #1

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How is the one doe with the bites and wounds? :(
I just read the rash reply's the owner gave on the news article and I found it very very sad...
I have a bad feeling I see court in your future, they seem to want to blame everyone but themselves and make threats rather then just admit there fault and see the loss on both sides :(
I really hope they come to there senses, but I would be keeping everything well documented just in case.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
quiltnchik said:
CocoNUT said:
quuiltnchick -

I think you need to start talking to the people at your local courthouse to file papework in CIVIL court against your neighbor. Depending on the total dollar amount of your loss....you could be talking a misdemenor or worse. Do NOT let the feeling that you "don't have money" prohibit you from PURSUING your neighbor from paying for her damages. SERIOUSLY! If she has been found "negligent" in allowing her dogs to run free...you have the perponderance of evidence on YOUR side in a civil case! You could also pursue 'emotional' damages to cover counseling services etc. I'm NOT making this up...and I'm not encouraging you to pursue a 'frivolous" lawsuit. This is a LEGITIMATE case...one you could win. This woman REFUSING to pay for the damages she has caused AND publically DEFAMING you for HER ignorance (or stupidity) NEEDS to be corrected. People will NEVER learn if they're NOT taught. I'm sure if you speak to a few people...you might even be able to find an attorney to work probono (w/o upfront charges...and will only charge if you win...and even then...only a percentage of the judgement).
PLEASE do NOT let these people win! PLEASE! When you are a victim, the ONLY way to no longer fear every bump in the night is to TAKE CONTROL of the situation. Obviously, not all people are "good" and will do the right thing. If they don't, USE the system to let them know YOU will NOT be THEIR victim...they can pick on someone else - BUT NOT YOU. It will also help you to deal with your fear.

Besides...I would record EVERYTHING that goes on from now on with this neighbor. Keep a log. SERIOUSLY. A written log/description of EVERY interaction (date/time) and every attempt at getting your costs reimbursed etc...HELPS law enforcement see more of who is being proactive and who is being negligent. It also helps in court...I'm willing to bet $$$ that this neighbor is hoping you're so "broken" by this event that you'll just let it go and she won't have to deal with it. Her dogs attacked your goats and you killed her dogs...you're even. (eventhough goats are howhere NEAR as important as pet DOGS are....in her mind) NOT SO! Teach her that country-folk take care of their own...AND can do it just like them cityfolk do - through the courts. I'm also willing to bet, if SERVED by local Sherriff regarding a civil suite...she'll pay up REAL quick and settle out of court. No one WANTS to get sued...

I have had MANY people think that I'm too young or not smart enough or whatever to stand up for myself. Got threatened with a lawsuit by a major car rental company over some pre-existing (maintenance) damage to a rental car...they just billed me...when I didn't just pay up for damage I had NOT incured, they threatened me. So I pushed back...challeneged them and their tactics, business practices, and filed a formal complaint with them AND against them (through the proper authorities). Guess what? Turns out their investigation against me was "faulty" and was retracted. Funny thing, they neglected to inform me...but they informed the authorities I'd filed formal complaints with! So the authorities were interested to find out that I had NOT been informed of them dropping the charges against me! Just another nail in their coffin...
Normal people would've paid the intial bill and not questioned it - even if they knew they hadn't caused the damage. I refused. Yes, it cost me some time writing up complaints and sending certified, return receipt letters, HOWEVER...I was vindicated and NOT out the GROSS amount of money they were attempting to extort from me.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not going to let her win, because that would mean my girls died in vain - I CAN'T let that happen! I'm just waiting for the bill to be returned (since she's obviously ignoring its existence), and then I'm heading to the courthouse to file a civil suit. If she thinks I'm letting this go, she'd better think again. She'd be wise to accept the bill and pay it, as it's about 15% of the ACTUAL charges - I dropped the amount because I was willing to settle and get this over with, but only gave her 14 days to pay before the other charges are added back in and it goes to court...

Good for you! Don't give up!

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
BarredRockMomma said:
You also have an awsome group of people on here who will be there for you through this. :hugs
Thank you!

For the poster asking about the injured doe, she's finally back to her old self, thanks. Unfortunately, I have no idea at this point whether she's still pregnant, but all signs are pointing to the fact that she didn't abort. She's been in and around my new buck and has shown absolutely no interest, which speaks volumes (she's the one I call the "ho" because she's the first to love all over a buck when I bring one here for breeding, whether she's already in season or not)! :lol:

I let the herd into the pasture behind the house today to graze, and have been outside to check on them constantly. The injured doe - Dora - actually led them all into the pasture when I let them out, so I know her confidence is up (she wanted nothing to do with that pasture or the barn until a few days ago). I scan for dogs every time I go out, though we've lived here for 14 months and had never had an issue until the dogs' owners moved in. It just sucks to feel like I have to be constantly "on guard" now. Of course it doesn't help that my daughter overheard the owner's husband telling someone at a local gas station that they're going to be getting a new dog :he

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
quiltnchik said:
BarredRockMomma said:
You also have an awsome group of people on here who will be there for you through this. :hugs
Thank you!

For the poster asking about the injured doe, she's finally back to her old self, thanks. Unfortunately, I have no idea at this point whether she's still pregnant, but all signs are pointing to the fact that she didn't abort. She's been in and around my new buck and has shown absolutely no interest, which speaks volumes (she's the one I call the "ho" because she's the first to love all over a buck when I bring one here for breeding, whether she's already in season or not)! :lol:

I let the herd into the pasture behind the house today to graze, and have been outside to check on them constantly. The injured doe - Dora - actually led them all into the pasture when I let them out, so I know her confidence is up (she wanted nothing to do with that pasture or the barn until a few days ago). I scan for dogs every time I go out, though we've lived here for 14 months and had never had an issue until the dogs' owners moved in. It just sucks to feel like I have to be constantly "on guard" now. Of course it doesn't help that my daughter overheard the owner's husband telling someone at a local gas station that they're going to be getting a new dog :he
You have got to be kidding me that they are getting a new dog. :barnie :he :rant :somad :tongue Some people are just unbelivable. They are the most #^&*$%*&^#@$%^& people in the world. I will not say anymore.

Backyardherder

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
quiltnchik said:
Of course it doesn't help that my daughter overheard the owner's husband telling someone at a local gas station that they're going to be getting a new dog :he
That's the biggest problem. You can get rid of dangerous dogs, but irresponsible owners are more difficult. Truly, I believe there should be a "potentially dangerous dog license" the same way there is a driver's license, with the possibility to take the license (and dog) away under certain circmstances. And then, unlicensed people who are caught in possession of a dog should be heavily fined. I realize such regulation would be a big hassle, but in my opinion it's worthwhile.