Neighbor's pitbull was loose....

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had a scared yesterday with neighbor's pitbull was running around on our property. We have 5 foot utility fencing around and the dog ran along the fence trying to find his way in. He isn't a nice dog because he attacked my dog once. I was too busy to herd the goats inside their pen and lost track of the dog. The 'stupid' goats following me inside the pen but ran out when I turned around and tried to close the gate. Need to train them better.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
If I had a neighbor with a pitbull, I would be sure to let them know that if he ever goes on my land then I will be temped to shoot him and if he ever goes after my goats then I would kill him. You can't take risks like that. I'm glad nothing came of it though. That would have been really sad.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ugh I hate loose dogs and I hate crappy dog owners that think they know how to care for a bully breed. My bully breed wouldn't dare harm any of my animals, or any person. I'm not even sure if he is aware of them LOL

We had a loose dog issue in my neighborhood but it was a Husky/mix?. Got 5 of mine and 3 of the neighbors birds before the AC finally caught him. I was ready with my gun to shoot the damn thing. I don't care how large or small or what breed, a loose dog is a predator, not a pet. It really isn't hard to contain a dog properly. I have 4 dogs and they do not even get a chance to wander.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
If I had a neighbor with a pitbull, I would be sure to let them know that if he ever goes on my land then I will be temped to shoot him and if he ever goes after my goats then I would kill him. You can't take risks like that. I'm glad nothing came of it though. That would have been really sad.
Please don't judge "pitbulls" by their looks. It is the owners fault, not the dog. ANY dog can potentially be a threat to animals.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I called the neighbor after I secured my goats. They were not home. I should have left a message...at least to tell them their dog is loose. It's been really quiet this morning...usually that dog would be barking at us when we go for our walk. I hope it got out and got lost! I know it is terrible thing to say. I told DH if that dog ever came into our property and hurt any of our animals, I'd have to kill it. I said, it would be harder to ask the neighbor to give up or put their dog to sleep after the fact. I wouldn't want to live next door to it anymore but I shouldn't have to move either. So I'd have to kill it.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
PendergrassRanch said:
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Please don't judge "pitbulls" by their looks. It is the owners fault, not the dog. ANY dog can potentially be a threat to animals.
I'm not judging. I know that any dog is dangerous to people and livestock. I actually kinda like pitbulls myself but they do have a history and you can't take that lightly.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Catahoula said:
I called the neighbor after I secured my goats. They were not home. I should have left a message...at least to tell them their dog is loose. It's been really quiet this morning...usually that dog would be barking at us when we go for our walk. I hope it got out and got lost! I know it is terrible thing to say. I told DH if that dog ever came into our property and hurt any of our animals, I'd have to kill it. I said, it would be harder to ask the neighbor to give up or put their dog to sleep after the fact. I wouldn't want to live next door to it anymore but I shouldn't have to move either. So I'd have to kill it.
If it does harm your animals, do not hesitate to shoot it. It is your right and hopefully the owners would learn their lesson. Sad that the dog has to suffer for their ignorance but its really a tough situation.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
PendergrassRanch said:
Straw Hat Kikos said:
I'm not judging. I know that any dog is dangerous to people and livestock. I actually kinda like pitbulls myself but they do have a history and you can't take that lightly.
Their history is due to their owners, NOT the dog. Pitbulls were known as nanny dogs, the perfect family dog before thugs got a hold of them and manipulated them. Judge the deed, not the breed, please.

I am sorry if I seem defensive but there is way too much ignorance against these breeds. They are great dogs when they have great owners, its the same with any dog. Heck I have a "bird dog" breed and she doesn't touch my animals. My pitbull and all my friends bully breeds are excellent dogs with more manners than most.

EmilysIphone055-1-1.jpg

This is my pitbull and my Weimaraner/chocolate lab. Birds are totally okay. I'll repeat it until I die, Judge the deed not the breed.

DSC06013-1.jpg

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Heck, I feed my dogs raw and you hear all sorts of junk about that. People think they will "get the taste of blood and kill anything". Watch out...my dogs are deadly...:he

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you had no injuries!!! I don't judge pits because of their breed, but by the owners. Had two of them roaming here two summers ago and heading for my sheep...opened the shed and they heard me and started for me...have the shotgun in there and loaded it quickly, put another shell between my teeth...and blasted! I'm not a gun person, but this was a game changer for me...both pits took off for home...didn't see how I could miss them...but they ran. After that one was gone, and the other kept on a chain...owner didn't take our previous phone calls seriously before that. Then, about a month later this neighbour is on the news being charged for being part of a dog fighting ring. Those neighbours moved and I'm pretty glad about that.

My upper arm was pretty black and blue after that shot...but could have been much worse for the sheep, chickens, my dogs and for me.

Be very careful if it comes back...you just never know what that pit has been bred and trained for.

Latest posts