Neighbor's pitbull was loose....

marlowmanor

Reaction score
On the pitbull front. We have a pitbull/boxer mix. He is very friendly with us and the kids and lets us know if anything is wrong around the house/property. I have not tested him with the goats. He stays in his lot and that is it. He has seen the goats and been able to smell them through the fence but I haven't taken him out and introduced him to the goats to see what he would do with them. The times he saw the goats through the fence he watched them and would jump at the fence when they got close which would of course spook the goats. Not sure if that was friendly jumping because he wanted to play or jumping because he wanted to eat them. We have considered testing him with the goats just haven't been able to do it yet. I still would not be letting him loose to roam the neighborhood or loose with the goats unless we were sure he was safe around them. Not because he is a pitbull mix, but because he is a dog. We had a dog loose the other day that walked right by our yard but was across the road. It watched the goats but never took a step on our property. I stood at my front door and watched it and was ready to grab a gun if it started acting aggressive towards my goats. Not sure where it came from (don't know the neighbors well) and haven't seen it again yet.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You what dog I trust the least around my animals? My CHIHUAHUA! LOL He loves flipping the birds up into the air and because of that, he isn't allowed into the field most of the time.

Hey look, my pitbull clearly about to eat my goat ;)

DSC05493.jpg

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pender I wish all dog owners were like you! Pits and bully breeds are judged by the ones ruined by bad owners...and owners trying to make money fighting them...so cruel!

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
Pender I wish all dog owners were like you! Pits and bully breeds are judged by the ones ruined by bad owners...and owners trying to make money fighting them...so cruel!
Exactly. That is why I defend them with every tooth and nail :) When I encounter dogs loose, I never judge the breed, its about the fact that there is a loose dog! Pitbulls are no more a danger than any other loose dog and I judge all loose dogs the same. If they harm my animals, they will get shot if I have a chance. It is the OWNER that is at fault, the dog cannot help what they look like and where they live.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I guess the dog is back at home. I just heard him barked.
I used to volunteered at the animal shelter and came across some of the friendliest, most loving pitbulls. Any breed of dogs can become nuisance or dangerous dogs. These neighbors have two pits. Both are friendly to people but one has became very aggressive to other dogs. They are not sure how to handle him...all they said to us was he wasn't like that when we got him through the rescue. He is wonderful with the kids. Well, this pit had pin our dog down to the ground with his jaw on my dog's throat. My husband yelled at him and at least he stopped. His owners came in time to grab him. I feel sorry for them and for the dog. They didn't know how to handle this dog's growing aggression. Perhaps part of it is due to lack of exercise.... I don't think their dogs get taken out for regular walks. They are no worst then many dog owners I know. They are just one of the many dog owners who don't exercise their dog...claiming...we have a large yard. I have no doubt this dog is loving to human but he is bad news to me.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cat, you made a really good point!!!! These large breed dogs do need excersize for sure, just as every working dog needs to work. Had friends who raised and showed huge Bull Mastiffs and they were run hard everyday. I was rather intrigued that with both of them working and with a baby, toddler and youngster in elementary school, and their horses they managed to come up with a solution...they welded a long piece of pipe with attached shorter ...graduated lengths...of pipes and could safely drive down a road he made on his property to run them out, turn around and run them back...did that in the morning before work and then again after work...looked hilarious...some folks may have thought it cruel, but dogs loved it and how else do you excersize a dozen large dogs at the same time? These dogs were gentle giants, but they needed that daily excersize. Wish I'd taken a photo of that...my description is kind of hard to imagine.

Hope the pit's owners come up with a solution that works for them, the dog...and that they keep that dog well away from your property! I personally do not plan to be taken out by a vicious dog...or attacked, nor any of my critters...it is not on my bucket list. Sounds awful to blast them with a shotgun, but sometimes a gal has to do what a gal has to do, eh?

Sorry for the ramble...but you did make a really good point about excersizing a dog!!!! My poodle is pretty much a lapdog, but still needs his running time. Now our Crazy Maizey needs much more excersize...I kind of suspect she may have some coyote in her...super sweet and loving to us and people we introduce her to, but strangers...we keep her on a strong rope and harness for those occasions and neither dog runs loose in the neighbourhood. I would never trust her with our chickens or sheep...she just has a wild hair for sure and we know that and handle her accordingly. This may be wrong of me...but when a seedy looking group of men in a car came up our driveway and I was home alone, I did go our with her and kept the rope short to start with...she sounded and looked super viscious...when they started getting out of their beat up car, I let the rope out a little...they got back in and yelled through their window that they had the wrong address and left.