Nesting box

jade_softtail

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What is the best kind of nesting box? My son's father wanted to build one out of wood but I was told not to use wood in case the rabbit would soil it.

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use wood boxes without any trouble. It helps to drill a few holes in the bottom for draining. I would stay away from the solid bottomed metal boxes I have had trouble with those. A wooden box is the cheapest and you can build it yourself without much trouble. In hotter climates you can build wire boxes, but that's only when it's really hot. Putting a wire bottom on your boxes may help, but I would be careful of drafts.

The measurements would depend upon the breed of rabbit you had and the size. Just make sure the sides of the box are tall enough to keep the babies in. They can get out of a box when they are still surprisingly young and can climb over the six inch fronts on our boxes.

jade_softtail

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention that they are New Zealand Whites, both are about 5 months old. I've heard that the little buggers will get out of the box easily. Thanks for the info too!

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
your welcome!

I just measured one of my boxes for my Champagnes which about the same size. It was a 18"x12"x12" box. The highest part in the front is about 6" tall, but I would make it about 8 or even 9 inches to keep the babies in.

I also install Baby blockers in my cages. This is an eight inch tall section of small wire, like 1/4" meshing, that is placed all the way around the cage. This will keep the babies in. They can go right through the half by one inch wire on the side of the cage. They just fall on the ground and die from the cold.

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Be careful with the wood, they may get splinters. Never had this happen to me before but I barely use wood. I like the metal ones better, easier to clean. I don't have to worry about the metal getting cold as my rabbits are in their house 'barn' ;)

Cargo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I made my nest boxes out of extra wire flooring as described in Storey's Guide and they work great.