new and questions about poisonous plants

fletch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm new to goats (one month in), but already in love with the critters. Have 2 males Boer/dairy mix. One nibbled on a nandina plant a little bit (few sprigs) this am and I have mayapple coming up in a few places. They found a loose place in the fence which I have now fixed, but I was wondering if they would eat the mayapple (if so, how poisonous is it) and what if any signs, should I watch for after nandina . Glad to have so many new friends in the forum. I live in East Tennessee. The goats, Frank and Jesse, have an acre of land to play on, lots of people friends, and are already spoiled. The electric fence is back up and running after Jesse's escapade.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we had our first goats we were standing in your "shoes" and didn't want them to eat something bad, either.....we were on 20acres then, with very little fencing....so, we walked the goats on leads and watched them....what we found out, is that they have the ability to recognize and avoid the bad plants....as long as there are "good" options available....such as hay, browse, or grass....they will not eat the less desirable plants......:).....if ya want to give them a treat from time to time....cut some sweet gum branches or honeysuckle vines and they will devour them....when they chow down on leaves, it sounds like kids eating a bag of potato chips....:lol:.....and it is a battle to see who gets the highest leaf.....:)

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from Tn! So glad you joined us. Look around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!
Welcome aboard!

Latest posts