New babies dont know the breed

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20170213_152941.jpg
I got these two little bucks from a lady that had nine bucklings i asked what breed they were and she wasnt sure which were which
20170213_152941.jpg

Attachments

• 20170212_173943.jpg
    20170212_173943.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would say that they are Alpines. The color of the one in the first picture is called a broken chamoisee. A chamoisee is buff or tan with a black strip down the back and often black lower legs. The "broken" designation is because of the white front of the body. A very common color in my herd.

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you thats what i was thinking when i was looking a pictures online. Got another question are the bucks mean i know it really depends on the personality of the animal but just in general are they mean when they grow up? I just have pets basicaly but might want to breed with my fainting girls

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have owned 3 different Alpine bucks and none of them have been mean. My LaMancha isn't mean either. Spend a lot of time with them playing with them and giving treats. Don't push on their foreheads, even in play, and as they get older if they try to mount you or butt you put them in their place quickly

@Goat Whisperer didn't you have a post a while back about the was you deal with bucks as kids?

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have owned 3 different Alpine bucks and none of them have been mean. My LaMancha isn't mean either. Spend a lot of time with them playing with them and giving treats. Don't push on their foreheads, even in play, and as they get older if they try to mount you or butt you put them in their place quickly

@Goat Whisperer didn't you have a post a while back about the was you deal with bucks as kids?
what do you mean put them in their place? New to bucks my mother n law has one hes mean cant even get close to pin but he wasnt raised with her mine are bottle babies

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Push them back (but not a head push), pen them against a wall, grab the collar and control them, anything to let them know that you are bigger than they are, and tougher. My bottle baby bucks can get a little too lovey when they are in rut but nothing I can't handle. I always keep a collar on them so I can grab them and walk with them to keep them from coming up behind me and trying to mount me. Don't let the little guys try to mount you, not even in play....it is a bad habit.

Even bucks that aren't bottle kids learn that I am the boss. They are harder sometimes as you want them friendly enough to catch when needed but not in your face.

I have one friend that rolls them over like an alpha roll when they get too aggressive; I have never tried that. I have never had a mean one. Even my 300lb Boer wasn't mean, he just stayed away.

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Push them back (but not a head push), pen them against a wall, grab the collar and control them, anything to let them know that you are bigger than they are, and tougher. My bottle baby bucks can get a little too lovey when they are in rut but nothing I can't handle. I always keep a collar on them so I can grab them and walk with them to keep them from coming up behind me and trying to mount me. Don't let the little guys try to mount you, not even in play....it is a bad habit.

Even bucks that aren't bottle kids learn that I am the boss. They are harder sometimes as you want them friendly enough to catch when needed but not in your face.

I have one friend that rolls them over like an alpha roll when they get too aggressive; I have never tried that. I have never had a mean one. Even my 300lb Boer wasn't mean, he just stayed away.
thank you lol my mother n law said take a rolled up news paper to them some how i dont think that would scare em when theyre full grown

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20170221_092241.jpg
star and moon last years bottle babies they felt left out lol they will be year old in april