New babies!

MrsFarley

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Born this morning. 2 .little girls. First time freshener and I walked out to feed at 7:30 and found 2 babies and no evidence of afterbirth. Mom seems good! I’ve seen one baby latch on but the other doesn’t seem interested. Advice? It’s 3:30 pm and they are alive and seem healthy (other then panting a lot but it’s 93 here.) I hung a fan over the kidding pen to help with air circulation. I made sure the teats were not clogged. Am I over worrying? How can I tell if I need to milk and bottle feed?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well congrats to you and the new mom. It sounds like you doe is doing what she is suppose to do. Kids nurse for a few seconds at a time so viewing it happen can be hit or miss. Check the kids' bellies... are they round and are the kids running and bouncing around? If so the kids are snacking away just fine.

I remember my first doe with her first kids and worrying if they were getting enough to eat, is the doe getting enough food to support the kids and all the other what abouts that come up. My advise is to sit back and enjoy the kids. The more you know about how THESE kids act, and how their bodies feel to you when you put your hands on to love on them (it is a wonder any of my does' kids ever had any hair on them :)) to easier it will be for you to decide if something is not right. Make sense?

Did your doe get a CDT shot 30 days before birthing? If so then the kids have a limited value from that shot so don't forget to give them their shots. I try to do 4 weeks and again at 8 weeks... but that's just my schedule others do it a week or two either way. I figure as long as they get the two shots they are good.

Your doe may like to have some molasses water as it is good for calories/energy and vitamins/minerals. My does enjoy it...

Oh, and when are you going to gift us with a ton of pictures? Hummmmmmm . Pretty please and thank you.