New baby chick help...

Ol Grey Mare

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Finally got the coop set up for the babies, tried setting food and water on a tupperware top in hopes they'll keep the flakes out and stay more dry without having to change 2-3 times a dayView attachment 33911

Yes - raising up the feeder/waterer is key in keeping things tidy. Keep the rims at about back height so they have to reach in to get to the feed or water and keep raising it as they continue to grow to keep pace with that height. You can also make a platform vs. just putting something under the feeder/waterer to keep it up - for example, I recently used a large cake pan to make a platform for the latest batch of chicks I brought home
water.jpg
This increases the space around the container that is shavings free and really helped keep the shavings out.
Alternatively, some folks will cut a hole and attach a feed/water "room" (separate box or bin depending on what they are brooding in) and just not use any bedding in that "room".

Wyorp Rock

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Finally got the coop set up for the babies, tried setting food and water on a tupperware top in hopes they'll keep the flakes out and stay more dry without having to change 2-3 times a dayView attachment 33911

LOL good luck with that:p

They still find a way to poop and throw shaving in the water and food, I really think it bothers us humans more than it does the chicks (they do eat poop you know:eek::eek::eek::eek::D

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use 8 and 16 oz sour cream containers filled with sand to raise feed and water up.....
...and funnels set on top to keep them from perching on them.