New baby goat and mini donkey foal

Ashley Wasinger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just recently acquired a 4 month old mini donkey and a 4 and a half month old Nigerian dwarf goat. I have so many questions and need all the advice I can get!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from Tennessee!! :frow
You'll find lots of helpful goat people on here and i'm sure there are donkey people too ;) :welcome

Ashley Wasinger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. Ask away. :D
I love Virginia! Hello from Colorado! My biggest question is, what should I be feeding a 4 month old mini donk? He is currently on a high fiber mixed hay and foal pellets. He also eats grass and other weeds but I'm trying to limit that to prevent colic. Because he is so young, does he need a milk replacer? Thank you!!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he was properly weaned his digestive system can tolerate the grain & hay. The foal pellets are good at his age, to assure he gets the vit/min he needs, in case they are lacking in the forage. DO NOT overfeed him. Donkeys are not supposed to be well rounded like a horse. They need a good layer of flesh but, they do very well on poorer range. I would wean him from the pellets at 6 mos. I used to provide my mini donks about a 1/4 cup of Purina feed every 2 or 3 days -- believe they call it "Empower"? now. It's a high concentrate, so tiny bit used, to provide vit/min. 24/7 hay.

Another thing -- training. Donkeys are not stubborn. They are super cautious, very smart and remember well. So work with yours with patience. Very loyal and friendly animals. Will try anything you ask, with trust and patience. They live a loooong time. :) also they are stronger lb for lb than a horse. Ground manners a must. If this is a jack, geld.

:D enjoyed visits to Colorado -- couldn't live there. Loved traveling around out west and visiting various historic sights. VA is home & the weather is pretty decent most of the time.

Ashley Wasinger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you! I will keep him on the pellets until at least 6 months. We have very green, thick pasture right now so Im trying to keep him in his pen because all he wants to do is eat! He recently started attacking me, my husband and the goat. He has bitten me a couple of times. Im not quite sure why but I think he's just frustrated because I stopped letting him graze all day. Have you ever dealt with this kind of behavior before?

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is he attacking or just being mouthy? I found that weanling donks are way mouthier than any foal I ever met. It is a natural way for them.to explore their environment and boundaries too. If you would like to know how I corrected my baby donkey without doing physical or emotional damage just let me know and I can walk you through it.

Ashley Wasinger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is he attacking or just being mouthy? I found that weanling donks are way mouthier than any foal I ever met. It is a natural way for them.to explore their environment and boundaries too. If you would like to know how I corrected my baby donkey without doing physical or emotional damage just let me know and I can walk you through it.

He is very mouthy but is attacking at times as well. His ears are pinned back and he is biting hard. He does this when I make him go back into his pen or barn. He either attacks me or the goat. When he does it, I just kinda push his head in another direction and say "no!". But I have had to physically tap him on the butt several times when he attacks the goat because he will not let go. He has been doing it less and less so hopefully what Im doing is working. My main concern is why he is so angry.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He is just angry like a toddler is angry when you make him go to bed. He doesn't have the understanding or tools in his box to know even why he is angry yetand what he should be doing about it.

I would stay away from popping him in the butt, you are just asking to be kicked. Once he learns you cannot move fast enough to avoid his kick he will have that in his "tool box". Mom and others of the herd would grab his cheek and this is how I corrected my girl and a couple others successfully. Grab that hairy cheek and say no! quick! Now depending on how comfortable you are with reading equine body language, this next part really tells him how you feel. IF and only IF you see him respect that cheek grab as a correction, calmly turn your back on him. Then stomp your foot hard, do a three count and walk away.... that turning your back before he does signifies that you are dominant and not happy. Foot stomp solidifies that point and walking away tells him you are done with the argument so to speak. When he approaches you next or you meet him later just make sure you treat him like nothing ever happened. If you watch donkey behavior this is how they correct each other and has worked very well for me and others.

I say all this assuming that you trust him enough to turn your back on him. He is young and should have no reason for malice but please use your best judgment when ever you take your eyes off such an intelligent animal.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And please enjoy him and love him! I never thought I could lovvvee any animal more than a horse, and then I met my donkey.