New baby!!

HomesteaderLexi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello all! We are proud to say our Nigerian/Pygmy cross doe had her first baby a few days ago! :) She is an excellent Mama!! I have the CD&T shot when and how should I give it?

Attachments

• 20180517_185229.jpg
    20180517_185229.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 205

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!! Cute kid! Buckling or Doeling?

Couple of relevant questions on the cdt question...
Was dam vaccinated one month prior to delivery?
Do you have the antitoxin or the toxoid?
Do you plan to dehorn the kid?

HomesteaderLexi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you all!! It is a little doeling :)

Congratulations!! Cute kid! Buckling or Doeling?

Couple of relevant questions on the cdt question...
Was dam vaccinated one month prior to delivery?
Do you have the antitoxin or the toxoid?
Do you plan to dehorn the kid?
Your questions answered in order:
No, only when she was a doeling
I have no idea what that is
And no, she will keep her horns

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all!! It is a little doeling :)

Your questions answered in order:
No, only when she was a doeling
I have no idea what that is
And no, she will keep her horns

Okay, so the dam needs a yearly booster. You should give one now depending on which type of the vaccine you have.

Did you buy a bottle of vaccine or get the injection from your vet?

Here’s a good link on the antitoxin and toxoid information.

https://goatmilkstuff.com/blogs/raising-dairy-goats/toxoids-vs-antitoxins

I’m just bringing this up in case you bought a whole vial from a farm store or farm supply. You’ll want to make sure you know exactly what you have.

The kid needs first vaccination at 2-3 months of age with a booster three weeks later, then yearly.

Often breeders give a booster to does, 4 weeks prior to due date to boost immunity in kids through colostrum.

The above article addresses why I asked about disbudding or not.

If you have further questions, ask away!

HomesteaderLexi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you for the article is was helpful. What I have is a toxoid, since I didn't give it to the mother before birth should I give it to them both now? Or wait on the baby?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new kid! Very pretty and a doeling to boot! :) So when the kid drinks mom's milk she gets the benefit of all of mom's antibodies. They are contained in the colostrum (first milk produced) and the baby can absorb them during the first 24 hours or so (most effective if colostrum is ingested within the first 2-4 hours). That's why it's so important for the kid to nurse as soon as possible after birth. Also, the nursing helps mom produce the hormones to help her push out the afterbirth. These "passed on" goodies will hold the kid over for the first 30 +/- days. Hopefully during that time the baby will start building its own antibodies. If mom had been given the CDT vaccine 30 days prior to kidding, she would have passed those on as well. Nothing to be done about that now.

The schedule I've always heard and used is to give the kid(s) the CDT vaccine between 5-6 (@5) weeks with a booster 4-5 weeks later. I have used the 5 week mark as my "go to" shot time. http://articles.extension.org/pages/27116/goat-vaccination-program "Kids should be vaccinated at 5 to 6 weeks of age and then given a booster three to four weeks later. Vaccination of kids from properly vaccinated does prior to 5 weeks of age may result in kids that are not protected and annual boosters may be ineffective." The reason for ineffectiveness if given earlier was explained by WH above.

IMHO, since you missed the best vaccination window for mom, it really makes little difference at this point and I'd just do her at the same time as I did the kid's first shot. The dose is the same for both (2 ml/cc), and the vial comes as a 10 dose vial. It says to discard after first use, but I refrigerate it and use it for the booster shot as well. Mom doesn't get a booster, just the annual shot. I discard the vial after the shot season is over. I always give the shots in spring before kidding to all adults, then to any kids as explained above.