New born goat and vaccinations/meds needed and when?

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Points
49
My doeling is now 3 days old. Today I gave her 1/2 cc of bose and the mom 3 cc of bose per the vet.

I am thinking maybe probias too.

When can they have wormer and cdt? How much of each?

Minerals/baking soda?

Also anything I left out? Isnt there something for cocci I should give or not until I see a need for the baby?
 

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Joined
Oct 6, 2010
Messages
13,869
Reaction score
710
Points
353
Location
Morrow Co ~ Ohio
arabianequine said:
My doeling is now 3 days old. Today I gave her 1/2 cc of bose and the mom 3 cc of bose per the vet.

I am thinking maybe probias too.
Never hurts to give Probios / probiotics.

When can they have wormer and cdt? How much of each?
Deworm only as needed. If you think that there is a need then have a fecal run.

CDT...did the mother have it within 6 weeks of kidding?
If so then the kid gets it at 4-5 weeks of age and again at 7-8 weeks of age. 2 cc.
If not, then the kid gets it at 1 week of age and again at 4-5 weeks of age. 2 cc.


Minerals/baking soda?
Minerals should always been available to your goats free choice. Loose minerals are best.

Baking soda should be saved for an as needed remedy and should not be left out.

Also anything I left out?
Here's some reading links for you:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=149874#p149874
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5759&p=1
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11677
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=32187#p32187
http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-basic-health
http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-parasite-mgmt

Isnt there something for cocci I should give or not until I see a need for the baby?
Coccidia isn't a problem until a minimum of 3 weeks of age. It's usually not a concern for mom unless she's under 2 years old.
Here's some more information for you: http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-coccidia-goat
 

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Points
49
elevan said:
arabianequine said:
My doeling is now 3 days old. Today I gave her 1/2 cc of bose and the mom 3 cc of bose per the vet.

I am thinking maybe probias too.
Never hurts to give Probios / probiotics.

When can they have wormer and cdt? How much of each?
Deworm only as needed. If you think that there is a need then have a fecal run.

CDT...did the mother have it within 6 weeks of kidding?
If so then the kid gets it at 4-5 weeks of age and again at 7-8 weeks of age. 2 cc.
If not, then the kid gets it at 1 week of age and again at 4-5 weeks of age. 2 cc.


Minerals/baking soda?
Minerals should always been available to your goats free choice. Loose minerals are best.

Baking soda should be saved for an as needed remedy and should not be left out.

Also anything I left out?
Here's some reading links for you:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=149874#p149874
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5759&p=1
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11677
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=32187#p32187
http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-basic-health
http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-parasite-mgmt

Isnt there something for cocci I should give or not until I see a need for the baby?
Coccidia isn't a problem until a minimum of 3 weeks of age. It's usually not a concern for mom unless she's under 2 years old.
Here's some more information for you: http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-coccidia-goat
Thank you for all this info Elevan....sorry I have not responded have had a tough last week :( lost 2 babies.

I do have another question or 2 lol.

As for the CDT the bottle I have says it does not expire till 2014 but has always been in the frig....it says to use all the contents upon first use? Do I need to buy more or is this one good?

Can this be given cold or do I need to let it get to room temp?

Thank you!
 

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Joined
Oct 6, 2010
Messages
13,869
Reaction score
710
Points
353
Location
Morrow Co ~ Ohio
arabianequine said:
Thank you for all this info Elevan....sorry I have not responded have had a tough last week :( lost 2 babies.
I am sorry to hear that :hugs

I do have another question or 2 lol.

As for the CDT the bottle I have says it does not expire till 2014 but has always been in the frig....it says to use all the contents upon first use? Do I need to buy more or is this one good?

Can this be given cold or do I need to let it get to room temp?

Thank you!
I don't buy bottles of CDT since I get what my vet calls "Lamb combo" directly from them in prefilled syringes...It contains both CDT and Bo-Se.

I have seen other members here state that they just keep it in the fridge until it's gone or until the expiration date.

On temp...either way - but really when you're talking 2 cc (ml) by the time you get from the house to the barn it's gonna be close to room temp anyway.
 

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Joined
Jul 17, 2011
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
18
Points
138
Location
Northern wisconsin
arabianequine said:
My doeling is now 3 days old. Today I gave her 1/2 cc of bose and the mom 3 cc of bose per the vet.

I am thinking maybe probias too.

When can they have wormer and cdt? How much of each?

Minerals/baking soda?

Also anything I left out? Isnt there something for cocci I should give or not until I see a need for the baby?
goat mineral blocks (not goats/sheep mineral just goat because goat/sheep don't have copper) BoSe (i had 2 friends loose %90 of htere herd due to selenium deficiancy so this is important) CD&T is a must.
 

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Points
49
manybirds said:
arabianequine said:
My doeling is now 3 days old. Today I gave her 1/2 cc of bose and the mom 3 cc of bose per the vet.

I am thinking maybe probias too.

When can they have wormer and cdt? How much of each?

Minerals/baking soda?

Also anything I left out? Isnt there something for cocci I should give or not until I see a need for the baby?
goat mineral blocks (not goats/sheep mineral just goat because goat/sheep don't have copper) BoSe (i had 2 friends loose %90 of htere herd due to selenium deficiancy so this is important) CD&T is a must.
I gave them all bose already.

I am using a loose mineral an off bran from my feed store for all live stock....what should the copper level be for goats?

Thank you!
 

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Points
49
elevan said:
arabianequine said:
Thank you for all this info Elevan....sorry I have not responded have had a tough last week :( lost 2 babies.
I am sorry to hear that :hugs

I do have another question or 2 lol.

As for the CDT the bottle I have says it does not expire till 2014 but has always been in the frig....it says to use all the contents upon first use? Do I need to buy more or is this one good?

Can this be given cold or do I need to let it get to room temp?

Thank you!
I don't buy bottles of CDT since I get what my vet calls "Lamb combo" directly from them in prefilled syringes...It contains both CDT and Bo-Se.

I have seen other members here state that they just keep it in the fridge until it's gone or until the expiration date.

On temp...either way - but really when you're talking 2 cc (ml) by the time you get from the house to the barn it's gonna be close to room temp anyway.
My goats are not far from my back door lol. I gave them all bose so I will have to ask the vet if it had cdt in it....I don't think so it was not mentioned but I will double check.

Thank you!
 

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Joined
Oct 6, 2010
Messages
13,869
Reaction score
710
Points
353
Location
Morrow Co ~ Ohio
arabianequine said:
elevan said:
I don't buy bottles of CDT since I get what my vet calls "Lamb combo" directly from them in prefilled syringes...It contains both CDT and Bo-Se.

I have seen other members here state that they just keep it in the fridge until it's gone or until the expiration date.

On temp...either way - but really when you're talking 2 cc (ml) by the time you get from the house to the barn it's gonna be close to room temp anyway.
My goats are not far from my back door lol. I gave them all bose so I will have to ask the vet if it had cdt in it....I don't think so it was not mentioned but I will double check.

Thank you!
If your vet sold you Bo-Se it would just be Bo-Se.

Trust me the "Lamb Combo" is a custom mixed compound...your vet would have HAD to have a conversation with you about it before selling it, if that's what it was ;) Not all vets are licensed to custom compound.
 

arabianequine

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Points
49
elevan said:
arabianequine said:
elevan said:
I don't buy bottles of CDT since I get what my vet calls "Lamb combo" directly from them in prefilled syringes...It contains both CDT and Bo-Se.

I have seen other members here state that they just keep it in the fridge until it's gone or until the expiration date.

On temp...either way - but really when you're talking 2 cc (ml) by the time you get from the house to the barn it's gonna be close to room temp anyway.
My goats are not far from my back door lol. I gave them all bose so I will have to ask the vet if it had cdt in it....I don't think so it was not mentioned but I will double check.

Thank you!
If your vet sold you Bo-Se it would just be Bo-Se.

Trust me the "Lamb Combo" is a custom mixed compound...your vet would have HAD to have a conversation with you about it before selling it, if that's what it was ;) Not all vets are licensed to custom compound.
Yep straight bose :)
 
Top