new born goats/ selenium, colostrum & fly questions

bufforps

Just born
Reaction score
My doe kidded this morning and is now the proud momma of twins! I am in NC and was told that this is a selenium deficient area. I purchased some selinium/vit e gel and gave the doe a dose about 3 weeks ago-the tube said to do it every 30 days. My question is, should I also give some to the kids too?
They appear to be nursing well, but I did also purchase a tube of colostrum supplement just in case. Should I also give them some of that to be on the safe side?
The flies are terrible here! Is it better/safer to put some fly spray on them (I have the bronco fly spray for horses) or just leave it as is?
Thanks!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'd give the kids the selenium gel, but not the colostrum paste unless they don't nurse enough. (It won't hurt them, I just don't think it's needed.)
Personally, I prefer the selenium shots (BoSe, not MuSe), it supposedly works "better" (absorbed easier). I've seen it work miracles on weak kid legs.
On the fly spray, I'd be careful w/ newborns, if you make them "smell funny" Mom might reject them.
I'd make sure to keep their area clean, navels dipped, and put a fan around them (not blowing ON them) during the day to help keep the flies blown away.
Congrats!

bufforps

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks!
I dipped their navels and their stall is very clean, I had stripped it and put in new bedding for the pending birth, I also put up a fan. I will hold off on the spray, but will give them the selenium.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I agree with Roll Farms. BoSe is far superior to the gel. I give all my newborns here (also terribly deficient naturally) .25 cc when they're born (mine are minis).

For fly control, we have auto sprayers in the barn as well as box fans for each stall. I wouldn't spray the kids until they're older by a few days and have bonded well with mom.