new bottle baby issue

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much do you think the kid weighs? The one scouring?
Pics are also helpful.

The 16 oz 3x day may be too much. May not be.

Does the goat take the whole bottle down real fast? all of it at each setting?

kguthrie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Southern by choice I just got her today (my new kid)id say she is 10 bls ...yes i thought her feedings were alot.......but then i had to buy the milk replacer she is on and it says 2 cups 3xa day her age.....sooo.ugh.
I gave her a little less of a bottle tonight because of her diarrhea. The people i bought her from said "their daughter had over fed her " which is why she had diarrhea. soo im going to see how she is in the morning. its been a stressful day for the poor thing. I was going to give her a little pepto but her poops started thickening up. so now im just letting them cry it out until morning.dont know what else to do.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boers are big goats. If the breeder had her on 16oz 3x a day I would try to keep her on that.
Let her stomach calm down from over feeding though. It shouldn't take long.

Can you weigh the kid? A 3.5 week old boer probably weighs a bit more than 10#, unless the kid had a very low birth weight.

kguthrie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Boers are big goats. If the breeder had her on 16oz 3x a day I would try to keep her on that.
Let her stomach calm down from over feeding though. It shouldn't take long.

Can you weigh the kid? A 3.5 week old boer probably weighs a bit more than 10#, unless the kid had a very low birth weight.

Thank you. Yes she is 15.8 pound.She otherwise looks healthy:) I have a vet right down the road ,I'm going to go have them test her diarrhea, just to be on the safe side.

kguthrie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just an update on my new little doe*
Her fecal test was good, no signs of parasites ect. she was over fed. I gave her electrolytes as her dinner bottle and today her poop is in a "bunch" not singles yet....but at least no more Diarrhea. I also went ahead and got her a CDT vac (cause she only nursed for a day on her mom before she kicked her off) soo I figured,she didnt get much of her moms vac. from nursing.
She also got a little antibiotic shot and she has been looking sooooo much better today.
poor little thing, I think the stress of the road trip , coming home to our other kid and dogs, washing her bum and legs off ect...she was exhausted.
I wish my momma doe milked enough to just feed the both of them but I still have at least a month left on both of them to be on a bottle, and im afraid she will not have enough milk for both of them when they start needing more.
Thanks for all you responses