new bottle baby issue

kguthrie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hey guys,
Long story short , I have a bottle baby that I have been raising (a month) with her mothers milk ( mom wouldn't take her.) I have been milking close to 48oz each day from her and freezing the extra.

well just some background, my in-laws had the baby( and momma) and know little on goats, soo when the hard cold snap happened in MO and weak kid we ended up with the bottle baby. Since we weren't planning on it , we (my husband and I) have been scrambling trying to get outdoor pens, pasture fences fixed ect.AND MOST OF ALL getting her a buddy.

*****sooooo today I drove 2 hours to get this little registered doe, 1 month old, (literally have tried sales, facebook, craigslist...she was THE ONLY DOE i could find and I'm running out of time for helping my other kid as she is a month old and needs to learn how to be a GOAT)

-------------->>>my problem is this little doe is( almost a month old) on bag replacer milk.....and has "little" black diarrhea.....i'm almost certain she has been over fed. <<<-------------------

my question is , do you think my 2 bottle kids can live off the 48oz im getting off my fresh doe? and try and switch my new kid onto my "goat milk" or should i just keep the new kid on her formula and just take the feedings down a notch and maybe give her some pepto ???

I understand that if I DO switch her to "real milk" Id have to go slow to switch her over , as she already has black diarrhea. (* also her mom did have C&D vaccine) before the kids were born and this kid got 2 days milk before she kicked her off.)

I've just put soo many sleepless nights and heart into my original baby and now have time and $ and HEART into this new baby.....I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for reading !

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve not done a bottle baby yet but I’m sure it’s bound to happen whether I buy one or have to bottle one of my own for some reason.

I will wish you the best of luck!

kguthrie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer
thank you soo much for your response.
they were feeding her 3 bottles x3 a day of formula. ( 2 cups)...id say she is about 10lbs which is way more than I'm feeding my healthy "momma milk" baby (im giving her 8 oz. 4x day) and she is 15lbs.
the new kid has obviously had a super stressful day and her poops actually have thickened up. (I washed her butt and legs off to make sure i didn't bring anything into the house with my other kid)I am assuming with the 2 hr drive , meeting my crazy kid and dogs she will maybe have some stress diahhrea BUT i am scared to keep feeding her that MUCH only 3 times a day.

how or should i try and (introduce some real milk) or should I not risk it and keep her on the replacement milk? they are both a month , soo i Have about a month plus on bottles left to feed soo i am just all confused.
The sellers also said the mom had her C&D vaccine but the baby only nursed 2 days before getting kicked off. should I give her a a c&D ?
I also have a vet who is super cheap down the road who knows a bit about goats soo,(he at least knows to check for coccidia) i can always take her there and get some pro bios or a antibiotic???
Im all over the place with this post, sorry lol!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
they were feeding her 3 bottles x3 a day of formula. ( 2 cups)...id say she is about 10lbs which is way more than I'm feeding my healthy "momma milk" baby (im giving her 8 oz. 4x day) and she is 15lbs.
I am thoroughly confused with the info here.

How many bottles per day and how many ounces for EACH bottle.
I don't understand 3bottles 3x day 3 cups... and for the other kid are you saying an 8 0z bottle for EACH feeding (32 oz)
Also what breed of goats are these?

At a month old they only need 3 bottles a day.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
WHat breed are the goats? This is very important. You are not going to feed a Nigerian Dwarf as much as you feed a Nubian.

I’m not really understanding how much you are feeding the new kid- is that 2 cups 3x a day? Or 2 cups divided into 3 feedings?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Leave her on the replacer for a few days until she is more comfortable. If she is doing okay on it I wouldn’t be real stressed.

But I do not think your doe is producing enough milk for both kids.

kguthrie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am thoroughly confused with the info here.

How many bottles per day and how many ounces for EACH bottle.
I don't understand 3bottles 3x day 3 cups... and for the other kid are you saying an 8 0z bottle for EACH feeding (32 oz)
Also what breed of goats are these?

At a month old they only need 3 bottles a day.

kguthrie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Southern by choice
sorry for the confusion....
-my original doe (boer X) 1 mo. old- 8 oz. 4 times a day ( about to got to 3 ) and bigger bottles on moms milk
-new kid (full boer)3.5 weeks old (getting 2 cups replacement milk)3 times a day