New bottle baby with scours

BrockBottom

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I am a nervous new mom. I have a 6 week old myotonic doeling (bottle baby) that we just picked up and brought home 2 days ago. She was doing great yesterday all day, running around and playing with my family. I noticed last evening when I fed her she was shivering after she ate which I hadn't noticed before. This morning she has scours :( Its pretty watery. She urinated a good amount first thing this morning and did drink about 6 ounces of milk, but then wanted nothing more to do with food. I noticed her kick at her belly...poor thing! I could tell she didn't feel well.

I know there could be several causes. When she ate yesterday afternoon she had about 14 ounces each time (at 4pm and again at 8pm). I was told to give her up to 16 ounces. Over feeding? Stress due to a move/new location? Coccidiosis? Do I get worried and get her into the vet right away? Or try electrolytes today and get her in tomorrow if she isn't better?

I don't have electrolytes on hand, I need to run and get some. I found a recipe for a homemade solution for baby goats (1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 c molasses, 2 qts water). Is that okay for this morning until I can get to the farm store?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have my first bottle babies now so I’ve not experienced these things. I do want to welcome you and tag some people that might be able to help. @OneFineAcre @Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer @goatgurl @babsbag @animalmom are the ones I can think of off the top of my head...

In the meantime, some things that I know are safe to do...add plain yogurt (1tbsp) with active/live cultures to each bottle to support gut health.

All goat kids are at risk for coccidia. There are several threads that can be found by searching.

If you are sure she’s dehydrating, you can give a little Gatorade until you can get your hands on electrolytes. (I’m not sure about the recipe.)

BrockBottom

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I have not taken her temp. Yes she is on the same milk.
Could it be bloat? Her belly is hard and round and bigger on the left side. I heard "sloshing" when she was walking this morning.
Thanks

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If this were my kid I would -
1) take temp
2) take fecal to vet asap
3) give probiotics (I prefer powder mixed with water and slowly drenched) some people use paste 2x day
4) cut back on milk

has she been given a CD & T ?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us, but sorry it's your sick animal that brought you here. Hope you get it figured out and corrected straight away. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!