New buns chewing hutch.. help!

SweetBun

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
First all thanks to all of you for having patience with a newbie like me. This week I have a new issue.. we bought the buns (9 weeks) a new wood hutch so they would have more room. They have been in it less than 24 hrs and are chewing on the edges inside. They have timothy hay & timothy hay toys... How in the world do I stop them from chewing and ruining a new hutch?

Thanks
SB

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Its a rabbits natural drive to chew. Also dig.
Most of us just use wire hutches.
Chewing is important for rabbits because it wears down the teeth. Provide them with wood chew blocks. This may help shift their attention from chewing on the cage. Or not.

SweetBun

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I knew they chewed but I didn't think about the hutch. Do I just get wood from the hardware store or is there something special I should pick up?

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any wood will do. You need to make sure it has not been treated with chemicals.
I prefer to let them chew the prunings off of apple tree's. Mine love it.
Fir branches are also safe.

SweetBun

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If we grew apples here that would work but its the wrong climate for apples I called the vet and they suggested cardboard and I grabbed blocks at the pet store. So far they seem better. Thanks

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we give paper towel or toilet paper tubes as long as there is no glue on the tube- some you have to look at very carefully because there is a light strip of glue. I have also heard of giving pine cones as long as they haven't been treated with chemicals.

Good Luck