New country girl

Jmcentire20

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey yall. I have free randge chickens and two ducks. We are looking to expand our family and NY daughter wants a lamb for Christmas. Can someone help me find someone or the right place to get one? We currently live in Blythewood SC.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know where to get one there but if you call someone that hauls livestock they often know a bunch of people that have lambs or whatever you are after. You could also go down to your local auction and see what they have. I would suggest getting 2 though. Every animal does better when they have another of the same kind to live with.

Welcome! And good luck!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi & Welcome to the forum! :frow

Sorry, don't know anyone that has lambs available right now. :(
How much research have you (when I say you, I mean you & daughter) done on having sheep? You really shouldn't have one lamb. That is an incredibly stressful to the animal and they don't do well without a companion sheep. You need at least two.

Do you know what diet the lamb should be on? Are you aware that your chicken feed can kill said lamb? Will you be able to be sure the lamb has proper hay? Have you researched coccidia and parasites? The lamb will likely have some sort of bloom after a travel. You would need to address this so the lamb doesn't get to a lethal count. You also have to be very careful about how much copper they get as they are very sensitive and can easily die if you aren't careful.

What type of fencing do you have for the lamb? Do you have a safe shelter for it? Do you know of a livestock vet that treats sheep?

Not trying to be a downer, it is very sweet that you want to get your daughter a lamb, BUT you might want to reconsider it.
On Christmas day maybe you want to tell her you will offer to pay for a lamb?... to ensure she is ready to take sheep on. Making sure she has the right facilities, hay, knows about parasites, finds a vet, etc. etc.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could give her a certificate good for exchanging for two lambs. Then together ya'll could build shelter, fencing and research breeds and more information on sheep.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! Glad you decided to join us :D As part of your knowledge gaining journey, there's a lot of great information and knowledge shared right here in the various sheep threads. We also have a great group of Sheeple here who are pretty active and willing to help those who are in need. Have you looked at the various breeds? Are you wanting hair sheep for meat, or wool sheep for fiber? There are even dairy sheep for milk... Browse around and make yourself at home, and pictures would be great when you get to that point! Good luck!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi....there isn't any need to restate all the Great advice so far....but, one thing I would like to point out would be the need to find a Vet before you find sheep....I live in an area where there isn't a Vet for goats and sheep...and when you have no 'Experience' to rely on it leaves you stranded to perform, diagnose, and treat what ever situation that may arise....it certainly can be very taxing and stressful for you, your daughter, and the lambs....do some research and planning before hand....because, it can really save you on the back end....Good Luck with your decision and research....and again Welcome to the 'Herd' :welcome

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! I have sheep, I started with two and I now have 6 (five of them are ewes who will be having lambs in April). What kind of sheep are you looking to get? How old is your daughter and what is she wanting to do with the sheep - wool, meat, milk, pet, maybe show in 4H?

There is a lot to learn but sheep are great, good luck!