New Country Minerals & Kelp Question

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried New Country Organics Minerals for Goats? The copper in it seems to be amazing compared to other brands (3,000 ppm). I picked up a bag at a local farm store to try, but I can't find any reviews of it online.

One other thing, it contains kelp. I saw where kelp is amazing for goats (I feed it to my chickens) but some people said the kelp came through in the milk and has a very bad taste. Eek. I don't want that. But I also don't imagine they will be eating enough of it to make that much of a difference.

Anyone have any thoughts? As usual, I appreciate everyone's input!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I switched to Fertrell's minerals a couple months ago (Grazier's Choice) and it also contains kelp. It's a different brand, and I'll be milking sheep, not goats, but I should be milking in a few weeks and I'll check to see if I notice a difference in the taste of their milk.

Maybe you could ask your local farm store if they've sold it to anyone else you could ask, or if they've gotten any feedback on it.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been using kelp with my milking goaties for almost a year now and have not noticed any difference in the taste of their milk... neither has my DH and he's picky.

I give the girls 2 teaspoons per goat as a supplement in their morning grain. I think it has made a considerable difference in their hair and skin... softer hair and much less dry skin. Now if I could only get my bucks to eat the kelp.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I can attest to the quality of taste of @animalmom 's goats... I only got a one glass sample but it was delicious! :drool

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Awesome! Then I won't worry about the kelp issue. I find it interesting no one has used this brand of minerals though! :idunno

Guess we will see how it works!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kelp it fine. We used to mix it in with our minerals. Now we just give it as needed. We stopped once our well water was causing an iron buildup.

Do you have a guaranteed analysis you could post?

We use manna pro goat minerals and have had great success with it. We tried the sweetlix and the girls weren't thrilled about it.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer I also use Manna Pro minerals but can I ask a (potentially dumb) question? Is ammonium chloride ok for milking does? I thought I read somewhere not to give it to them but the Manna Pro says it contains AC. I assume I read incorrectly, if you are using it also!

I've been looking into kelp also but can't seem to find it anywhere not online.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't looked to far into it truthfully. Almost all goat feed around here contains AC, even the feeds labeled for milking does. I'm not worried about a small amount of AC that could possibly come through the milk. I figure I'm around, ingesting, etc. enough other things as it is :lol: