New Dairy Goat-Am I Doing it Right?

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just when I think I've got it down, I get myself a dairy goat. My two Nubian wethers have done fine on grass, hay and a bit of pellets to keep them coming around me. Now I have a LaMancha doe that is currently in milk.

I've had her for almost a week and her milk production has increased from 1 pint to almost 2 pints now! *squeal* (Her kid was born in December so I think it's kind of a big deal!)

The previous owner wormed her and did her hooves while I was on site. I'm getting some copper boluses for all the goats and don't think I'll have an issue giving it to them.

My question is, to me, she is unbearably thin. She gets free choice browse, grass and doesn't touch the alfalfa hay. She eats the pellets and BOSS (just added alfalfa last night) and a tiny bit of sweet feed to keep her standing still while I milk. But overall, she just does not seem to chow down like my two wethers do. She will eat about a cup or 2 and be done with it.

I tried to feed in the AM and she has no interest in breakfast at all. I can't blame her, I hate breakfast too. Is there a way to increase her feed intake to help offset the milk that I'm taking or is she looking ok?

Attachments

• received_61017457753846.jpeg
    received_61017457753846.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 168
  • body.jpg
    body.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 227

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is a bit thin. Some lamanchas that are hard working (meaning high producing) will have a hard time putting weight on because they put it all in the pail. With your girl however, 1-2 pints is not high production. Although a very young FF may only produce 1 qt am and 1 qt pm... that is ok.
This means-
~ either she really wasn't milked and developed
~very young doe (12-13 months) and a FF with a single
~deficient
~all the above

Is she a mini lamancha? a purebred? her ears are not gopher that is why I ask

Try orchard hay 24/7
The alfalfa may be too rich for her right now
What minerals is she on?

I would give a vitamin B injection - the B's stimulate appetite
Copper is probably a good idea
Definitely have a fecal analysis run, regardless if she was already wormed. Most dewormers only kill 4t th stage so follow up is important

BOSS can throw Calcium/Phosphorus levels off so be careful with that. Get some beet pulp, she may not like it at first just keep putting it in front of her.
What kind of feed was she on before you got her?

Also is she negative for CAE?

We breed Lamanchas so there is a wide range of body styles... how old is his doe?

Congratulations on your Lamancha! Best breed ever! :D:D:D

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you for responding! The person I purchased from has had her for at least 4 years and she wasn't the original owner. Negative for CAE and Johnes. She could just be an older doe, which is fine. I really don't drink that much milk but have always wanted a LaMancha. She's actually a very large doe. I'm 5'11" and she comes to my waist easily.

In the 4 years the person I purchased her from had her, she was never milked other than for her kids being raised off of her. I'm just assuming that's got something to play in it but again, I'm mostly trying to make sure she's maintaining her health more so than the milk. I figure if her milk output increases, that means I'm doing something right.

I tried Orchard hay and none of my goats would go near it all. As for her feed before, she was in a large area with multiple goats and they were all offered free choice hay and a "scoop" of feed for all of them. Approx. 20 goats in the same area? She's now getting alfalfa pellets, 17% goat feed, a handful of BOSS, handful of beet pulp and some 10% all stock sweet feed for as long as she will eat while we milk. I've only had her a week today though so we're still acclimating.

As for if she's purebred, I'm not sure. Her ears actually curl around the ear canal instead of going "outwards." I clean the ears each time I milk...just in case. I hate wax buildup in my ears, I couldn't imagine how pissy I'd be if I couldn't clean my ears out.

Vitamin B would be a good idea! Thank you! Can I give that as a food additive or does it need to be injection form?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That does explain it. Raising kids but never being milked affects production. Good for you working her up and feeding her well. It will take time.
Never understand why anyone raises dairy goats if they don't milk them. grrr
If she were my goat I would give injectable. Consult with your vet of course.

I don't see you mention minerals. Minerals are essential. Find a mineral that has cobalt in it as it is necessary for overall health. Not all minerals have cobalt or even adequate cobalt.
Still get the fecal done too.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
BTW- she is very pretty. Yes, at 4 she is underweight. But she looks good as far as shiny coat and bright eyes. :)