New dexter yearling heifer.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I absolutely shudder when I see posts on this site about buying/rescuing Jersey bull calves. Most of these people have little to no experience with cattle, and many of them don't even bother to dehorn these potential killers. Most think everything is just fine till it's too late. I had a close call today with a cow that had just had twins. She refused to accept one of the calves, and when I tried to move it over to the other one, the cow attacked me. I was able to get away, and came back later on our 4-wheeler. She attacked that, and nearly flipped it over backward onto me. She's about to take a one way trip to McDonalds when her calf gets big enough to wean.

Robert Shon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm new to all of this & I bought a jersey bull that was "as sweet as a lamb" right up until he squared off on my 6 yr old granddaughter ! He then decided that HE was in charge around the barn & acreage too. After he tried mounting the gelding & then me he met with the vet & now walks with a little less swagger ! My heifer will be AI when the time comes & as of Oct. 2016 old Ferdenand will be freezer beef ! Enough headaches just keeping up with the chores. Having to carry a ball bat was more that I cared to deal with.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not going to lie. Bulls scare the daylight out of me. I got mauled a few years ago, slammed into a tree and thrown over a fence. He came through the fence. I crawled under a log and prayed. Survived with broken ribs and a bruised up back.

We had a freezer full of meat. He was a yearling prospect.

There's a farm up the road from us that raises bulls. You have to sign a waver to DRIVE through the pens.

I'm glad you're leaning towards AI. Bulls in close quarters are not safe.