New Doe Turning Her Nose Up At Food

Thetinyfearlesshomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
New goat owner here, any advice is welcome.

I have a new doe (Dani) that I moved to our little farm on the 19th. She's a it skinny, and her previous owners complained of not being able to keep weight on her - but ever since we got her, she turns her nose up at all the food we've offered her and will only eat the spring grass in her paddock, and alfalfa, and will generally only eat those if we're out there with her. Won't eat grain(Scratch and Peck Organics), or chaffhaye (which is what we're trying to primarily feed). She's in milk (her milk production has dropped by 8oz/day since we got her) and very newly pregnant.
I got her drinking warm molasses water with Nutri-Drench and ProBios in it once I noticed she wasn't eating...
Is there anything else I can/should do? Is it just a waiting game? I have no idea... we also acquired a 4 week old doeling who refused milk for the first 36 hours after we moved her as well, but suddenly snapped to and has been eating well and regularly.
So, wondering if the food protest is a stress thing?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from California.

It can be a stress thing but goats are picky eaters. I am not sure how they every got the reputation of being the eaters of tin cans. I would ask the previous owner what she was feeding and see if you can get the same feed.

Is Scratch and Peck for chickens? Goats don't really need that kind of grain and they usually don't do well on it at all, can actually get sick if they eat too much. I would look for a good goat chow, Purina makes a few and there are others. I would also try some Calf Manna, mine love the stuff but only offer the amount suggested on the bag. If she is in milk she really needs a good goat feed that has a minimum of 16% protein.

Has she been wormed? I would get a fecal run as stress can cause a parasite bloom. Also a vitamin B injection can help with appetite.

Thetinyfearlesshomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from California.

It can be a stress thing but goats are picky eaters. I am not sure how they every got the reputation of being the eaters of tin cans. I would ask the previous owner what she was feeding and see if you can get the same feed.

Is Scratch and Peck for chickens? Goats don't really need that kind of grain and they usually don't do well on it at all, can actually get sick if they eat too much. I would look for a good goat chow, Purina makes a few and there are others. I would also try some Calf Manna, mine love the stuff but only offer the amount suggested on the bag. If she is in milk she really needs a good goat feed that has a minimum of 16% protein.

Has she been wormed? I would get a fecal run as stress can cause a parasite bloom. Also a vitamin B injection can help with appetite.

Scratch and Peck has a goat feed that's 16% protein which is what we're using.
She has been wormed, but I'll try the vitamin B injection and and get a fecal test.

Thanks so much!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! sorry you're having goat feeding issues. Hope it works out for you. Hope you'll stick around and let us know the outcome. Make yourself at home and browse around... There's quite a bit of experience and knowledge shared in the various threads and being a new goat owner, I'm sure some will prove valuable for you. Glad you joined us.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of active goat owners here. This is a friendly place and we are delighted that you joined us.