1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New Donkey

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Horses, Mules and Donkeys' started by Nathan Justice, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Mar 24, 2017
    Nathan Justice

Nathan Justice Chillin' with the herd

Hey guys, I have never had a donkey before.. I have had mules and horses most all of my life.. I may sound stupid asking this but I just recently bought 2 donkeys to have as guardians for my goats.. one is a miniature and the other is a standard Spanish donkey (I think that's right.. I'm not familiar with donkey types).. I've heard not to feed them grain but it's hard to keep it away from them since I feed my goats grain.. Could I feed a couple handfuls of grain and get away with that? I just don't want to make them over weight.. thanks ahead of time for the advice! It is greatly appreciated!

2. Mar 27, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

From what I understand, some donkeys will get overweight from breathing high quality air. Others not so much. IMO I'd say go ahead if you want to, even if you're just using it as a treat/bribe. If they start to get overweight, then you'll have choices to make.

Nathan Justice likes this.