New Endurance Horse has tendon problem...

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I found a horse and completely fell in love, he is amazing! Leased him for 6 months rode 2-3 times a week, everything was great!

A week before we were to sign the contract, the owner had him out lunging in the round pen at my trainers place where I was boarding him. Trainer comes out and is like "what are you doing, that horses tendon is swollen!"

Had my vet evaluate, and not sure how it happened but its mild, should be just a few months recovery and he should be fine.

Rehabbed him, poultices, icing, wrapping, controlled walking only etc. Seems fine, ride him for a while again without incident.

Then one time after a ride, the next day I realize it's puffy again. :( Back to square one, poultices, icing, wrapping, controlled walking only etc. Additionally I did eight weeks of cold laser.

It's been nine months. :( We were doing better, up to walking 20 minutes a day etc. Had the vet ultrasound it, still says it's mild, not sure why it's taking so long to heal.

Then, last week had him turned out in the arena for a couple hours (he's a VERY calm horse). Put him back in stall and 2 days later his whole tendon is swollen and he has a new insult to the lower back of it. :( So now we're back to square one again.

I think i've given up ever being able to ride him again, let alone do endurance. :( Too bad because he is a super nice horse and perfect in every other way.

Anyone think of anything else I can do for him?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe explore homeopathy vet care? Some of the herbal preparations and care programs might work better.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Actually I've never even thought of that for this particular problem. Would that be something he takes orally, or like a liniment/ spray on? Do you know of any good ones?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought Arnicare (for people) cream for my husband's knee that he twisted. It sure helped with the pain and I think it helped heal it too. I also got him the tablets that dissolve under the tongue. The active ingredient is Arnica Montana. I have read on other forums where this was used on horses, you will have to google it to find where to buy it. When I had a horse with a pulled tendon, I used DSMO until I couldn't catch her anymore to rub her leg with it LOL! The Arnicare cream I used on my husband did not burn, sting, smell, it just gradually stopped hurting. I think if I have another horse hurt a tendon, I'll look for the Arnica Montana.

Found this for you to study. It will get you started.

http://www.equi-therapy.net/equi-therapy/homeopathy/arnica-for-horses.shtml

http://holistichorse.com/equine-therapy/herbs/254-arnica-montana-the-herb

http://www.horsehomeopathy.com/

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If a tendon is damaged enough it will never be as strong as before it was injured.
He will recover but ultimately always be lame off and on

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If a tendon is damaged enough it will never be as strong as before it was injured.
He will recover but ultimately always be lame off and on
That must be why I have read on forums about people getting free race horses or a low cost, after they bow a tendon on the track.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pretty much.
They can still be used for light riding but racing and endurance probably not.
However you never know. If you really like the horse I would give it a year off and see how it goes.
Bring him/her back to work slowly.