New Filly, help?

AndersonFamilyFarm

Just born
Reaction score
We are getting a 16 month old Filly and were looking for tips on how to introduce her into our pasture. We dont have any other horses, just a goat. And she is used to being around several other horses. Shes not really halter broke, and shes very skiddish. This isnt our first horse, but its our first YOUNG one. We need advice on how to tame her and introduce her into our pasture, thanks! She is a Rocky Mountain/ Tennessee Walker btw.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about horses but I always like to introduce new animals through fence. Doesn't matter what the animal is. Give them a chance to sniff each other through the fence and get used to each other and then they also can't hurt each other.

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you have a barn with a stall or a smaller pasture/corral/round pen area? I fear with her being skiddish and not halter trained if you turn her out into a large pasture she won't be easy to catch and it can actually be dangerous to leave a horse who is used to having company out alone so do check on her a few times the first night as they can tend to run the fenceline or pace and if she decides she does not respect your fence she could become injured. I would introduce her and the goat through the fence several times a day for a few days before releasing the goat in with her.

Personally here she would go in our round pen until she could be led, she had adjusted to being an only horse and the company of the goat, and could be approached and haltered in the round pen only then would I move her to the grazing pastures.

Nathan Sampson

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would listen to karma. It is important to have a horse that respects you as well that will be easy to catch and handle in an emergency.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Agreeing with them here too...I bought a 3 month old colt that was worse. "Halter broken" to the old owners was that he could wear a halter :rolleyes: He was VERY skittish - hid in the corner of the stall every time someone walked by, and so on. He was also used to being in a pasture with a herd of horses.
I actually left him in his stall until he had some trust for me, then just hand walked, then let him loose in a small, solid fenced enclosure. After about 2 weeks of owning him, I was able to set him loose on the big field. Now every time I call him, he runs to greet me. I also keep him pastured by himself - I wanted him to be more independent from the start, and not herd bound. He is perfectly happy being alone. I also give him a lot of attention through out the day.
As for the goat - I actually had him pastured with 2 of my dairy goats. They made great companions because they all ignored each other. The foal would try to play with them every once in a while, but never went after them. That can depend on the horse too.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Leave the halter on also. She may be hard to catch again.

AndersonFamilyFarm

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Also, how many pounds of hay should a filly be eating a day? We buy them in round bales so Im just trying to make sure in advance.:D

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It really depends. I would expect to feed about 10-20 lbs a day - typically 2% of her body weight in lbs of hay split into two feedings or 1% body weight twice a day unless you have a slow feeder or small hole net big enough for all of the hay. She is still growing though so she may eat more. If you can get one of the hay nets with the tiny holes - Freedom Feeder is one brand and they have a net big enough to hold 100 lbs of hay which will last most horses 5-7 days - it will make her eat slower and naturally limit her intake without actually imposing a limit on how much she can eat and the small holes help limit waste. Obviously if you grain her, or feed a complete feed or a hay replacer like beat pulp she will need less hay and may need it limited. But we prefer to give our young horses that are kept in only free choice hay - it keeps them busy in the stable which reduces boredom related behaviors like cribbing, wind sucking, and weaving we also have not experienced any weight issues when doing this, not even with ponies.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Horses are herd animals. Getting a young horse and moving it to a new place without horses is a bad idea. As for the training, you need to find a legitimate local trainer to work with. Having some horse experience and training a filly are two very different things. It is impossible for us to do the subject justice over a forum.

Why are you getting this horse?

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Karma said:
It really depends. I would expect to feed about 10-20 lbs a day - typically 2% of her body weight in lbs of hay split into two feedings or 1% body weight twice a day unless you have a slow feeder or small hole net big enough for all of the hay. She is still growing though so she may eat more. If you can get one of the hay nets with the tiny holes - Freedom Feeder is one brand and they have a net big enough to hold 100 lbs of hay which will last most horses 5-7 days - it will make her eat slower and naturally limit her intake without actually imposing a limit on how much she can eat and the small holes help limit waste. Obviously if you grain her, or feed a complete feed or a hay replacer like beat pulp she will need less hay and may need it limited. But we prefer to give our young horses that are kept in only free choice hay - it keeps them busy in the stable which reduces boredom related behaviors like cribbing, wind sucking, and weaving we also have not experienced any weight issues when doing this, not even with ponies.
:thumbsup What Karma said.
Since my boy is on pasture still, he only eats about one flake of first cut hay a day. He gets as much as he wants, but that is all he eats. Hay intake will range depending on what else you are feeding (grass, grain). Like mentioned, I would feed extra hay in a slow type feeder to help prevent boredom.
We feed our foal Sentinel SS grain. The bag tag is almost 100% accurate on how much to feed. Just have to increase or decrease depending on how much hay. The Sentinel line is more a little more expensive, but gives great results in their condition.
Best way to decide on food though, is start at the free choice hay and recommended grain amount on the bag tag, and see where her condition goes from there. If she gets too fat - cut back, too skinny - add more.

Latest posts