New Filly, help?

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think you can train her yourself! Se could turn out to be a wonderful horse. Just leave the halter on and build up trust. Leave her in a stall or round pen where she will easy to catch if you need to. Introduce the goat and her through fence or something so they can't get to each other, but they can see and smell each other. Work with her daily. Leave out one of your dirty jackets or shirts and something you use in the goat often so she can get used to both. Give her time. if you've had horses in the past you know horses. Also YouTube has helped me a lot. Not everything is true, but some things are. Don't spend too much money on a trainer. Maybe a few lesson with her. I would also have a trainer teach you and the horse so you can learn too and don't have to pay 5 times as much as what you need to. They can be expensive! Good luck!

ChickenLittle

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When I got my horse as a foal of 3 months we had her in a small holding pen that was about 30ft by 40ft. Not huge and there wasn't a lot of grass in it after the first few days of her eating and playing in there. I think that is key because you become the food bringer and the god of all good things. When you bring her food out and she is eating is the time to touch her in the friendly places first like on her withers and her back but not under the belly or her legs quite yet. Wait on those areas. Once she starts getting curious about you you can start bringing in things like the halter. Rub it all over her first and only when she is comfortable with it touching her and being around her do you try to put it on her. I prefer the ones that unhitch behind the ear to start rather than underneath as you don't have to put your hands over her eyes.

Pick little steps to work on and stop when you get to a good point. If she seems stuck take a minute and think about it and approach it from a different angle. They are fun to train and the ground work part is an easy and fun way to build a relationship. Just keep in mind she's only 16 months so you have plenty of time for teaching. Just doing a little every day and not only will she built trust in you as the food god but she will also start learning horsey ettiquette as well. Once you can get a halter on her and she will let you approach her it would be okay to let her out in the bigger pasture with your other animals.

Latest posts