1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Lumps and eye problems - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New From Central Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MomtherOfDragons, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Apr 12, 2019
    MomtherOfDragons

MomtherOfDragons Chillin' with the herd

Hello! New here and pretty new to goats. We have 6 goats, 4 horses, 1 dog, 1 duck who thinks she’s a chicken, 6 chickens and 1 calf that thinks she’s a princess. We have had a heck of a year with parasites and I’m really trying to learn as much as possible since goats seem to be much more difficult than I’ve ever imagined. Glad to find a resource to learn as much as possible (without needing facebook!)
    Hope everyone is enjoying spring!

2. Apr 12, 2019
    MomtherOfDragons

Here’s a picture of our bottle baby, Little Nala (and our big baby, Lizzy).

I forgot to add, in addition to our small livestock variation, we also have a small herd of children (3) so we aren’t the only ones learning!

Attached Files:

3. Apr 12, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I already said Welcome! In your other thread, but I understand about all the animals! I used to have a horse, but I had to put her down three years ago.
    Right now, I have way to many baby chicks because Im hatching eggs. Mostly mix breed chickens, RIR, EEs, bantys, and right now about 14 Ancona duck eggs.
    I have three cows currently, which led me to this site when I was looking up information about beef cattle. I found so many helpful threads, posts, and so many members that posted helpful information.
    I dont know anything about goats, a little about chickens, and not much about cows, but, boy! is it fun to read forums on here.
    If you cant find an answer to something, just ask, and someone will answer with advice or thier experience on the matter.
    I know many on here suggest, as an emergency measure, to, if you can, save some colostrum and freeze it just in case of an emergency. Ive seen other great ideas for baby goat, cow, sheep, even bunnies.
    Hope you enjoy your journey here!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. Apr 12, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops Loving the herd life

Hello! :frow And welcome to BYH from Tennessee! :welcome

Rammy and MomtherOfDragons like this.
  5. Apr 12, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Hello motherofdragons....welcome to BYH... awesome people here, great infomation....and a fun place to hang out with other critter lovers :) enjoy your journey with your animals...:celebrate

MomtherOfDragons, AmberLops and Rammy like this.
  6. Apr 12, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Howdy from another Texan! We’re in the Tyler area. We have hair Sheep. 9 ewes, 13 lambs(keeping 4 of them to add to the flock), 1 fabulous Ram, 4 Horses, a crap load of chickens and the latest hog is in the freezer. 3 dogs, me and my husband. Delighted to have you here! @animalmom is in the Waco area and she has goats. Maybe she is close to you? Anyway, WELCOME!

7. Apr 13, 2019
    MomtherOfDragons

We are near Round Top, (usually nobody knows where that is unless they are antique lovers!). We want pigs next year but I told the husband we need to figure goats out before moving to the next adventure! Sounds like y’all have a little zoo! Very fun!!

Baymule likes this.
  8. Apr 13, 2019
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

Welcome and another big howdy from North Central Texas, where as you know "the stars at night are big and bright."

We have Nigerian Dwarf goats, chickens, rabbits, Embden geese, Muscovy ducks and 4 yard dogs who protect us from the other animals.

Always great to see another Texan join the group. I'm in North Central, south westish from Fort Worth... kind of between Fort Worth and Abilene.

Do you get pestered much from the folks who come to see the solstices at the petrographs?

Glad you found us. Tickled pink you are here.

Baymule, MomtherOfDragons and Rammy like this.