New from TN

Farm momma1980

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new and I came here to get advice on goats. I had a bottle baby fall into my lap. lol
My family has 24 chickens, 4 pekin ducks, 3 dog, 3 cats and now one little doeling Nigerian Dwarf.
I found today that the goat has goat lice. I freaked out temporally then went to researching what needed to be done.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Although I have not dealt with it, I have heard Diatamaceous Earth and horse fly spray can be helpful.

Getting a fecal on new goats is always a good idea, too. The stress of moving can cause a parasite bloom.

Goats are herd animals and it would be a good idea to start looking for a companion for your new girl.

:welcome

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH Tn. is a good place to be from . Since it a small doeling you can do a dip or bath .You may need to do it twice Most any good lice treatment for goats will be fine . Make sure it kills the type of lice your goat has. Farmers CO-OP or TSC will have what you need . Check ingredients between all of them so your not over paying . You do want to take care of the infestation a quick as possible . Also limit contact until you get them gone . To me one is as good as another .

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from Indiana! :frow
I don't have goats, but several here do. I do know that you get into goat math pretty quick when you join on here:)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is the kid?

I'd bathe her with some permethrins. Once she is treated you will need to get her another goat friend :)

Welcome to the forum BTW!

We love pics, especially of baby goats ;)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Grats on your new herd addition. Hope you get the little creepy crawlies all eradicated. Browse around and make yourself at home.

Farm momma1980

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I treated her with permethrins. I'm going to do it again in a few days for good measure. When do you all usually wean a baby goat?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Since it's a Nigie, you can start weaning it at about 8 weeks... Or if you feel like continuing bottle feeding, do it longer. As long as she has access to good browse, maybe some goat chow (pellets/feed) and hay and is eating, she should be OK. Some do it cold turkey, some do it in steps. In Nature, momma goat would do it over time as she's drying off. Some sooner, some later...