New gal on the block, new to Nigerian Goat Herds too!

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm an avid forum reader but never posted questions before. It will be nice to have friendly advice to help me be a good momma for my new goats. Soon to be midwife! I have an situation I would love advice on, I'll post a new thread. Nigerian dwarf doe accidentally bred (irresponsibly bred) by Nubian buck. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!...:frow
Something that will aid you and others attempting to answer your questions is your general location. You can add it to your banner, and will be a quick reference to anyone giving advice. Locale can make a difference in many factors that can affect livestock.
We have goats, chickens, ducks, and cats here. You have new goats, but that isn't a goat in your avatar. So, what other animals do ya have?
What kind of set-up ya got? What are your intentions and reasons for having animals? How big a place ya have? These answers can be of great value for others giving advice too.
You will find out that this is a really good community with really Great people willing to help ya with their knowledge and experience. There is a ton of info in the goat Threads and Forums already, but if ya have questions, comments, or advice just jump in and post away. Oh, and never hesitate in posting pics, we all love to see others animals, set-ups, and developments underway.
Again.....:welcome

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Michigan!

I actually just read that post about your doe. :( I wish you the best of luck.
I also have Nigerian Dwarfs. :) And I just purchased a couple Nubians, but I think I prefer the Dwarfs. They're just such crazy little guys.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH :frow Glad you finally "spoke up" and joined us rather than remaining a "silent partner" :D Congrats on your new little goats! Just a word of caution... from my understanding there is "goat math" just like chicken math. They are small and just seem to increase in number over time. I see you've posted another thread about your breeding situation so will leave that for there. There's a wealth of info and knowledge shared in the threads, which you've probably already noticed. You'll also learn/meet many of the active members through reading. Make yourself at home and look forward to your posts. If you have some pics you could share, that would be great! We're a bunch of pic-aholics here ;)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome from East Texas. :welcome

So glad you decided to join us. I'm sure you will be blown,away by all the friendly advise everyone you will receive here. And once you get your "goat hoofs" under you, don't hesitate to share your hard earned knowledge with others.

We have 4 ND wethers and just this past week brought home two Bred LaMancha does. I am SO excited to join the ranks of dairy goat herdies, here on BYH.

@CntryBoy was sooo right! Pictures are greatly encouraged here on BYH! And as @Latestarter said, "Goat Math" is a real thing. I am so excited to have little kid goats bouncing around our little (5 acres) Devonviolet Acres!!! My original plan was to raise MiniManchas. Since I can't find any locally, I decided to get a couple LaMancha does and breed them to a Nigerian buck. Now I am excited about making goat cheese and can see myself breeding for MiniManchas and having MORE goats! Ah yes! Goat math at it's finest!:celebrate

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! You came to the right place for help. :) I personally don't know a ton about goats but many on here do.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures to share with us would you? :D

~MW

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I just realized that I had some very friendly welcome messages that I ignored because I didn't know they were there! I'm still learning this forum thing. I live in Washington state we have 5 acres but only about half of it is usable the other half is a wildlife habitat and deep ravine. I've had chickens for about five years now and am a rooster lover. This happened by accident when I bought chicks from our local farm store and each time I end up with a pet rooster out of the deal. I love their noises and their cockiness and the way they protect their hens. Having baby chicks born on my place is cool too. I came to have goats unexpectedly. We moved away from our home of 13 years and the week before we left, I offered to buy the neighbors goats, they spent much of the time at my house anyway. They refused to sell them to me, even though they weren't really taking care of them. But later they called and offered for me to buy them (that must've been when they saw that the miniature goat was bred by a large buck.) 4 months later here we are with the big round belly and much anticipation and prayers for a smooth delivery. Cinnamon is about nine months old she was at her mother side nursing when I first met her, but now she is a companion to her pregnant mom. I think mama goat is about a year or two old. I fell in love with these gals from day one, through the fence. They bring me such joy and relaxation. Cleaning up their poop is a privilege in my opinion and I love brushing them. So that's my story and I've been really enjoyed reading all of yours. Here are some pics of some of my animal friends. My apologies but I think I went crazy posting pics, enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0053.PNG
    IMG_0053.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 126

BaileBeatha

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi there! I just posted a Hi to the "other" Niki too lol. I've been on Backyardchickens.com for a while now, but I'm still new to this particular forum. I am learning as much as I can about Dwarf Nigerians, as we are planning on getting two soon. Can't wait. I have been in love since the first time I ever met one. I read about your poor mama goat. I really hope she has a smooth term and delivery. Anxiously looking forward to updates as she progresses! Nice to "meet" ya!

Latest posts