1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Lumps and eye problems - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

*NEW* getting Nigerian bottle babies, what size sweater to knit??

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by __TJ__, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Apr 11, 2019
    __TJ__

__TJ__ Exploring the pasture

I’m trying to knit some sweaters for dwarf Nigerian goat babies need size ideas? Cat sized? Terrier sized?

Btw hello I’m new, haven’t get goats yet but established chicken duck and guinnea owner. I have goat friends who have mentored me.

Baymule likes this.
  2. Apr 11, 2019
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

Welcome :frowglad you joined us! No clue as to what size to knit...maybe cat size or a little bigger :idunno. Maybe others will post and give you a better idea. We don't use sweaters on our nigies.

3. Apr 11, 2019
    __TJ__

It’s -5 at night here in bc Canada and they’re due any day, I’d rather have a sweater and not need it than have to make a fix on the fly. Took hubs three years to agree to goats so there’s no way on earth I get to keep them in the house till they grow.
    Want to make sure they are ok

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  4. Apr 11, 2019
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

I can understand your concern with it being so cold there. We do use warming barrels for our kids to hang out in after they are born. Once a doe kids she gets her own area with a barrel so she and her kids can bond.

Mrs1885 and B&B Happy goats like this.
  5. Apr 11, 2019
    __TJ__

They’re going to be bottle babies in all likelyhood, the mum abandoned her kids last time and if human hadn’t been there they would have been lost so we are assuming the worst (that she will abandon again and I am set up to take them and bottle feed then 24/7 if need be) if she takes to them then I’ll be thrilled to spend time with them and collect at 8 weeks when they’re ready. Trying to set up for every eventuality.

6. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    Mrs1885

Mrs1885 Loving the herd life

I'd say large cat / small dog based on the size of our surprise twins. I have to ask though. If she was a bad mom the first time, why in the world would she be bred again? Our girl rejected hers the first few days and we had a hell of a time holding her in place to let them feed before she finally accepted them. She's become a great mom since, but no way I'd ever allow her to have more just based on those first few days. I wouldn't want to risk it being genetic, the poor mothering skills, and just don't think it's good for them to be bottle babies.

Don't get me wrong. We have bottle babies here. We have a sanctuary, so we get all of the local rejected, orphaned, sick, injured etc. Bottle babies are cute for a few days. Not much fun after. And they don't learn as well how to be a goat in our experience. I have one we just can't contain. Still thinks he's a human and wants to be with us. I think bottle feeding can cause some psych issues honestly. I understand it is necessary some times but something that we try hard to avoid.

7. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    __TJ__

Totally agree and I agree it’s not ideal, it’s not my goat so I don’t get much say. Options here are limited.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 12:18 PM
  8. Apr 18, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    __TJ__

And I bought home this special little poppet yesterday, she’s adorable and we all love her!

ETA she will not be an only goat I’m still waiting for the ND to kid her some sisters

Attached Files:

B&B Happy goats and Baymule like this.
  9. Apr 18, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

She is beautiful! What size sweater did you knit? BTW, I think you are marvelously talented, to be knitting goat sweaters. I never learned to knit.